• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stuff we don't usually think about for SHTF type discussions.

This is mainly for those in a rural setting, or at least not those in an apartment or high rise.

This may be too obvious, but I don't see a lot of mention of gas. SHTF may not look like a sudden wave of black helicopters coming to confiscate your guns, or a marauding ban of the half-dead, etc. It could be something as simple as a failure of one or more elements of infrastructure. Major bridges are out or rail systems shut down preventing food, gasoline, or other products to get to stores, or the electrical grid shut down by cyber-terrorists, water supply not safe, etc. In short, it may be less sudden violence and more long term shutdown. I usually keep a supply of gas for mowers, generators, etc. Of course, this also runs my vehicles if need be. I plan to increase my backup supply of gas. I use military style 5 ltr. cans.

Most probably know this, but some may not. Gas will deteriorate over time. Therefore it is necessary to rotate your supply. I find that the rumor of deterioration is actually worse than the fact, but you still shouldn't allow it to get too old. After a few months, I will start using the stored gas in my truck and replacing it to keep it reasonably fresh. The effect of spoilage is worse on small industrial engines (mowers, generators, etc.) than on autos. Also, there are products available to prolong its life, Stabile being one.

If your SHTF plan is to hunker down at home be sure to have a big generator, one that can power up your whole house. This is of course for a semi long term since there is a limit to the amount of gas you can practically stockpile. For this reason a small generator might also be useful...something that will power up a few light bulbs or fridge, while using a lot less gas. If you are going to power up the house, learn how. Have the big generator hard wired or have the ability to plug into a 220 circuit in the house. The original setup needs to be done by someone who knows how. Cross a wire incorrectly and you can blow every circuit in the house including the computer and big screen TV. Don't ask me how I know this. Before you power up the house, through a 220 circuit or hard wire, cut the main breakers to the house off. If you don't you will ship your power out to the utility pole. Best case, you loose your self generated power, and worst case you can possibly electrocute the poor lineman out there trying to make a repair.

It may not be necessary to power up the whole house 24/7. Three hours in the evening may be enough to provide some of the comforts of home for your family. SHTF may be a true survivalist situation, but not necessarily.

And while on the subject of gas, don't forget the propane for cooking, space heaters, etc, particularly for you country folk who heat the house with propane. Make sure your tank is big enough and have some extra canisters stored safely away from the house. Typical residential tanks provided by a propane supplier are at least 250 -500 gallons. Hundred gallon tanks are available at the big box home improvement stores for $100-150. They are like the 5 gal. tanks for your gas grill, etc. except bigger. Propane provides a lot greater independence from the gas company infrastructure than natural gas, but that depends on your location. Probably shouldn't store a 100 gal. propane tank in the condo or for that matter, extra gasoline.

While on the subject, you might keep some extra motor oil, antifreeze, etc. Two cycle oil for your chain saw, some tillers, etc.

Remember batteries of every size shape and description. Of course, for flashlights, lanterns, tactical lights, weapon sights, even camera, etc.

If it it really non violent but long term, have batteries for household helps like garage door openers, TV remote, etc. That is if you paid attention and have the big generator.

Heineken. How will we go on without it?

Never fear -- there's already been a BDP set for this scenario.

i54.tinypic.com_zsmved.jpg

Back
Top Bottom