• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

tacoma issue

Npowers66

Default rank <5000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
358   1
Reaction score
I am having a issue with my 04 tacoma prerunner. It shakes a little when I break. Its not the breaks because when I change them and the rotors its better. When I break at slow speeds you can feel "skip" if that makes sense. Almost like a warped rotor. Could it be ball joint or something?

I have the same truck same year in the crew cab model and my truck (despite 3 different brands of rotors) did this until I bought OE rotors from the dealer. Don't know why it made it go away but it did. Maybe these other guys can give you some better information.

Lower control arm bushings, ball joints not so much maybe a bearing. Have a shop just test drive it and check the front end.
I have seen cheap rotors ie not dealer parts do this more than once a lot more than once. I used to run a shop in kennesaw. Won't name names lol but the lower the the lesser quality there is a reason the dealer is more expensive some times but not always

Id venture on the rotors. Also a lot of the times only OEM parts. Even having used rotors turned sometimes, you will still get a shimmy or shake. Best way just start off fresh with new oem rotors/pads and clips and check the calipers for proper function, break them in properly and don't use the brakes like most women (no offense)

Brakes, rotors are warped, always turn rotors out of the box!!! You HAVE a hanging caliper thats overheating the rotors> also use quality parts, IE Napa Adaptive 1 pads and premium rotors, not the AZ junk.....

Last edited:
This happened to my sister car. The metal used in the econo rotors has to be crap, because the OE GM rotors never had the problem. My best guess is they dissipate uneven and cause premature warping, especially while in wet weather and your breaks see more drastic tempeture changes quickly.

Back
Top Bottom