• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tactics needed for securing my church

The Georgia Baptist Mission Board recently hired a church security guy, Ben O'Neal. Not as a consultant, but I think a full-time staff member. He has, or used to have, a security consulting company. Maybe he's still involved in that somehow? Anyhow, he seems really well-qualified. Recently retired Army Major. He has decades of experience in the Military Police, and then he was head of facilities security or something like that. Keeping our troops safe from terrorists and bombers and gunman when they're NOT out on a combat mission. And keeping our bases safe from thefts, vandalism, espionage, and such lesser threats. Any church that is a member in good standing of the Ga Baptist Association or Mission Board can get an appointment to have him come by.
Sounds like a great resource and wealth of knowledge. Sadly, I attend a PCA church. Maybe the PCA folks have someone similar, I should look into that. Thanks.

contact Brad at full blown firearms. he does a lot of church security classes as well as setting a security plans for churches. he will bring in your team and train then..

contact Brad at full blown firearms. he does a lot of church security classes as well as setting a security plans for churches. he will bring in your team and train then..
I appreciate the recommendation, sir! Have you done any training with them yourself?

i put my wife and daughter thru his training class. i can do,but i am not a teacher.
i was in the shop when he was talking with one of the churches he was training. i was very impressed. he will set up a plan for your church,not just a church plan.
give them a call,its free to talk,he will surprise you.. he heads up security at his church as well.
Brad
678-463-8155
later
Bob

Hey ODT,

I have recently volunteered to take control of security for my church. I have developed a safety and security plan for numerous situations (inclement weather, medical emergency, suspicious person, active shooter, etc). Would anyone be willing to help me out with thoughts and ideas on ways I could improve? I would be happy to email my plan to any willing parties to give edits. Thanks guys.

Jake D.
Part of security is secrecy. I wouldn’t send out your plans unless I knew for sure who I was sending them too, and they had a need for them.
We have scammers and dishonest actors on here, we try to find them but it’s not possible to know them all.

Part of security is secrecy. I wouldn’t send out your plans unless I knew for sure who I was sending them too, and they had a need for them.
We have scammers and dishonest actors on here, we try to find them but it’s not possible to know them all.
I appreciate that insight, makes sense. Good looking out. Thanks.

Good on ya for volunteering. Do yourself and the rest of your local team a favor, bring in a professional to discuss the scenarios you are going to prepare for to review your plans, conduct walk throughs and give you some repeatable exercises you folks can practice, practice, practice. @cmshoot who I see has already chimed in!

I have been our church armed security team leader for three years. I organized our team with the help of two LEOs who are church members. One of the LEOs is a 20 year firearm trainer. Your trainers need to be regular church goers. They need to have knowledge of church ways and how church goers think. We train year round. Preferred team members should be cops, ex military, private investigators, or security guards with armed training. With the right trainers, others can be trained, also, just like training cops from scratch. Everybody won't make the team. I would be happy to sit and talk eye to eye about how our team came to be and how we stay current. I won't do it unless it is face to face. A trainer should not be team leader for legal purposes. Remember,,,if you use deadly force, you and church will be sued.

Back
Top Bottom