• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The famous Toyota 22R 4cyl

I had an 82 4x4 with a 22R, an 86 4runner with a 22RE and mom had a Toyota corona wagon wirth a 20R. None ever had engine problems.

I tried to blow up the 22R once, wanting to drop a vortec in. I had it over 9,00 rpms and nothing. The truck had another 200K pu on it after that event and never got anything more than a carb rebuild.

22RE had280k on it when I sold it becuase I bought another V6 4Runner.

The Corona has over 200K on it when it was totaled. The corona would run well over 120mph.

I had an 82 4x4 with a 22R, an 86 4runner with a 22RE and mom had a Toyota corona wagon wirth a 20R. None ever had engine problems.

I tried to blow up the 22R once, wanting to drop a vortec in. I had it over 9,00 rpms and nothing. The truck had another 200K pu on it after that event and never got anything more than a carb rebuild.

22RE had280k on it when I sold it becuase I bought another V6 4Runner.

The Corona has over 200K on it when it was totaled. The corona would run well over 120mph.
I’m telling you man, you’ve gotta shoot a Toyota to kill it!

My brother destroyed the engine or transmission in every car he ever owned
Blew the trans in A 77 cutlass
Blew the engine in a 78 Regal
Blew the trans in a 79 Plymouth Trailduster

Stripped the teeth in the three speed manual trans in a 61 Chevy pickup with the tiny six cylinder

Blew the transfer case and then the engine in a 78 Chevy K10

Then he got the 76 celica and couldn’t break it

I like the early 80s Toyota trucks, and I'd love to build a first gen 4runner with an LCE performance 22R. Still, they aren't as reliable as people like to think. If you're willing to accept timing chains and head gaskets as maintenance items - most any car will last as long.

All this talk about 22r is getting me sad.
I really want to have mine fixed.
I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to find 22r parts. They made a billion of those engines didn’t they?

You want to talk about a pain in the ass?

Try finding the *correct* replacement engine or transmission for a Honda CRX HF.

Lots of Honda engines and transmissions will drop right into a CRX HF, but they are not built (or in the case of the transmission, geared) to the original HF specs and you’ll lose fuel economy because of it.

You’ll go from 50mpg down to a gas-guzzling 45mpg!

In the early 90s My brother bought a 76 celica with 120k on it for $1200

Couple head gaskets and speedy sleeves on the crank pulley and next thing you know it had 498k on the clock
Best car I’ve ever seen

Heck I have a 02 sequoia with the 4.7 I bought it new with 2 miles it now has 345,000 never a problem with engine, only alternator, radiator and idler pulley replaced.
Good stuff.

I had 2 77 celicas over the years. Fun little cars.
I just got a 02 sequoia with 114k and plan on keeping it a long while.

I had a 80 celica coupe
Drove it from Carrollton to warm Springs every day for two years

Course I drove my 70 trans am from Carrollton to east point every day for a couple years

I wouldn’t think it would be that hard to find 22r parts. They made a billion of those engines didn’t they?

You want to talk about a pain in the ass?

Try finding the *correct* replacement engine or transmission for a Honda CRX HF.

Lots of Honda engines and transmissions will drop right into a CRX HF, but they are not built (or in the case of the transmission, geared) to the original HF specs and you’ll lose fuel economy because of it.

You’ll go from 50mpg down to a gas-guzzling 45mpg!

I was looking to buy crx.
Looked at few. most been "tuned". Body and trim are impossible to find.
Gave up on that vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom