• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The science of the draw stroke with Ron Avery

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
This video is good. This guy seems to know what he is about and I agree with him completely, utilizing fluidity and natural motion to draw your weapon. I am no great handgunner, but I can draw fast, and have never been completely on board with the robotic push/punch out with a pistol. Granted, this is practice from an open carry holster, but I see no reason why the basic fundamentals can't cross over into concealed carry. Interesting watch or I would not share it.

I love it! This is what I try to teach my officers...It's all about Psycho motor skills...Teaching the mind and the body to become fluid..In sink with each other..It take 3,500 to 5,000 repetitions for the mind, and the motor skills to come in sink. When you go to access your weapon, you don't look but react..And when the threat is gone you don't look to put your weapon back in the holster..The point being you never take your eye off a situation, or a possible threat..Mind and body Psycho Motor skills work as one..

Great video! The choppy robot like movements are silly and inefficient. I wonder how much YouTube is to blame for the students operator style draw or if someone actually taught him that?

Reactions: MRH
Great video! The choppy robot like movements are silly and inefficient. I wonder how much YouTube is to blame for the students operator style draw or if someone actually taught him that?

The student in that video was a pistol instructor himself. He trained with Yeager and Haley and a few other people before opening his own school.

Then he got ran off of YouTube over some stolen valor claims. Apparently he signed up for the army, got disqualified before he ever went to boot camp for medical issues but said he was in the army. Or at least that's the way I remember that going down, I may be getting some specifics wrong. Only reason he got big on YouTube to begin with was his hot girlfriend.

There is also a second part to this video where Cory said this was his first time ever meeting Ron and Travis Haley and he was super nervous.

This is a good example of the idea that "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast."

This is about how it feels and the energy expended. You're not actually moving slow at all, but because you are not having to create and control excessive energy it doesn't feel like your moving fast. You should not have to throw the brakes on your draw movement as you reach full extension. You should have close to zero inertia by the time you get there. You're not punching the sight onto the target. You're simply placing it there. There is a big difference between quick and fast. Fast is good (smooth). Quick is bad (jerky).

It's hard to explain exactly what I'm talking about, but once you manage to do it right a few times the difference in the feel of the energy utilized in the draw is obvious. The best I can describe it is "Effortless Speed".

Another thing I emphasize to a new shooter is that there is nothing violent about firing a weapon. Far from it. A person should strive for a complete lack of violent behavior, movement and mentality. The firearm is the only thing that is violent and one of the skills of a good shooter is that even when the weapon is behaving violently (firing) the shooter is still calm.

Back
Top Bottom