• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

the worst kind of hunter-shot 2 dogs because he wanted to

I feel like this a troll situation..

How would people react if the dogs attacked your dog while you were walking on your own property?

I am guessing close to 100%
Would do whatever is needed to be done..
or if a big dog killed their small one. these same people would gut shoot a dog, just so it would suffer.

I found a dog on the side of a forest service road that had been shot during deer season about 20 years ago. Just a medium sized brown mutt. Had to finish him off. First thing I ever killed.
Some people are just sick.

I'm guessing most everybody that is up in arms and "just can't believe a hunter would do this" is either a WMA hunter, hunts in a club for a small fee or hunts on friends property. I got tired of begging for permission, looking for leases or hunting the WMA's so I made quite a large investment on a 30 acre piece of planted pines. Since then, I have purchased a tractor, harrows, bush hog, rake, chainsaw, etc. After those purchases, guess what? I couldn't find anyone that was willing to just give me 100lbs clover, 200 lbs iron clay peas, 300lbs rye, 2 tons of lime, 600 lbs fertilizer, etc.
I have gone to great lengths to provide myself with a pleasant hunting experience so if you think I am going to let the neighbors dogs run through and scare off everything I've worked to attract, you are sadly mistaken.

Dog owners who let their dogs run free to trespass and cause trouble on other people's land should accept the risk of the dogs being killed or injured by neighboring landowners or legal hunters.

Your dog = your responsibility.
Don't let it off leash until you are sure it will stay on your land and not run off.

A pack of half-wild dogs (they were "owned" and fed by some trailer trash neighbors my brother used to have) used to run deer, kill house cats (in the yards of the cats' homes) and even killed a pet mama goat and 3 baby goats in another neighbor's barn (no door, not fenced).

Dog owners who let their dogs run free to trespass and cause trouble on other people's land should accept the risk of the dogs being killed or injured by neighboring landowners or legal hunters.

Your dog = your responsibility.
Don't let it off leash until you are sure it will stay on your land and not run off.

A pack of half-wild dogs (they were "owned" and fed by some trailer trash neighbors my brother used to have) used to run deer, kill house cats (in the yards of the cats' homes) and even killed a pet mama goat and 3 baby goats in another neighbor's barn (no door, not fenced).

A dog owner is legally responsible for any damages his dog does. But these folks that let their dogs run usually have nothing, and own nothing of value. The bank even owns their vehicle.

A landowner, on the other hand, has close to a half million bucks tied up on just 100 acres of un improved "hunting land".

maybe, but shooting someone because they break into your home and try to kill you is one thing.
but shooting them just because they broke in is completely different.
nobody i know goes out dog killin'. but the owners need to keep them up. if they are running deer, they are a problem. if someone shoots them, its more the owners fault, i dont blame the hunter.
again, the story is more of a guy dog killin'. what a lot of us have stated is, sometimes you need to kill a dog. the best way for a dog lover to keep their dog alive, is keeping it up. especially during hunting season.
i love all animals, i dont hunt much. i only hunt for food. i think shooting a deer in the lungs and letting it drown on its own blood is disgusting. thats what head shots are for. quick clean kills. but you gotta keep the trophy. i think its disgusting to hunt, and not eat the meat. i see guys that have bragged about shooting their limit. i hope they donate some of the meat, because they cant eat it all. some of the same guys who are offended by shooting a dog, will kill for the fun of it. "i got two more today!!!" i have seen countless deer in the ditches on dirt roads. tail cut off and antlers removed. just killed for a trophy. they guy at the local deer cooler always has 20 or 30 that hunters did not pick up. he keeps some for himself, and sells of the rest. he said a lot of the ones left are deer left are buy guys who shoot all they can. they get one or two to eat, then just kill the rest. because worthless people kill for the fun of it. just because an animal is not a pet, it does not need to die. just because its a pet, does not give it the right to roam free....

Somebody coming in my home is a little different than someone walking across my yard. Either way we can agree to disagree on this issue of shooting dogs. Take care and have a blessed day.

Somebody coming in my home is a little different than someone walking across my yard. Either way we can agree to disagree on this issue of shooting dogs. Take care and have a blessed day.
ok
let me just paint a picture.
i had a cat (moose) at my shop, super sweet and a great mouser. when i moved i had to bring her home. she was not an indoor cat, you bring her in, she was crazy. put her out side and she would climb on you neck and lie down. she had kittens. i came home one day and found them dead in the yard, well almost dead,. one was still alive, if you could call it that. its was ripped open, guts hanging out, but still alive.. i hope it just happened, but i think it had been suffering a while. i put it out of its misery. i picked up the little dead bodies and set them in a pile. i found moose on the back of the yard. torn up, she had obviously tried to save her babies. the neighbors dogs. so i buried the babies and the mother,and i went over to his house, and told him what happened. NOT MY DOGS!!!!! i gave him a warning. they came over again, and again. i called the cops, and animal control, we have a leash law, but nothing.. my wife called me one night, i was home, she was pulling in the drive way. those same dogs in the yard, this time growling and jumping at her in my daughter and they could not get out of the car. i grabbed my pistol and went out. still trying to be nice a fired a few shots at the ground and yelled for him to lock them up. we had a nice argument from yard to yard. i wound up having to kill one of them, and that was a big mess, but when a dog is on your back porch ripping at the door trying to get your pets inside. you do what you must... that same piece of crap moved and left 7 dogs at his house. 7 abandoned...
if you own a dog, it is your responsibility, keep it up or put it down yourself. but dont let it roam and kill, and dont let it get hit in the road. i dont like to kill, i only hunt what i will eat. but a loose dog is a wild dog. it is a invasive predator and must be dealt with as such.

I know lots of hunters. Everyone of them have hundreds to thousands of hard earned dollars invested in their hunting land and/or lease. I have no doubt every one of them would shoot any dog running loose on their land during a hunt.

ANY strange dog that shows up in a pasture with livestock earns a shot, no question about it.
You apparently hang out with the wrong types. Now you know one that most certainly would not and does not. And I'm 6 figures into my hunting expense.
Grabbing a gun and heading to the woods doesn't make you a 'hunter' anymore than standing in the kitchen with a pot makes you a chef.

ok
let me just paint a picture.
i had a cat (moose) at my shop, super sweet and a great mouser. when i moved i had to bring her home. she was not an indoor cat, you bring her in, she was crazy. put her out side and she would climb on you neck and lie down. she had kittens. i came home one day and found them dead in the yard, well almost dead,. one was still alive, if you could call it that. its was ripped open, guts hanging out, but still alive.. i hope it just happened, but i think it had been suffering a while. i put it out of its misery. i picked up the little dead bodies and set them in a pile. i found moose on the back of the yard. torn up, she had obviously tried to save her babies. the neighbors dogs. so i buried the babies and the mother,and i went over to his house, and told him what happened. NOT MY DOGS!!!!! i gave him a warning. they came over again, and again. i called the cops, and animal control, we have a leash law, but nothing.. my wife called me one night, i was home, she was pulling in the drive way. those same dogs in the yard, this time growling and jumping at her in my daughter and they could not get out of the car. i grabbed my pistol and went out. still trying to be nice a fired a few shots at the ground and yelled for him to lock them up. we had a nice argument from yard to yard. i wound up having to kill one of them, and that was a big mess, but when a dog is on your back porch ripping at the door trying to get your pets inside. you do what you must... that same piece of crap moved and left 7 dogs at his house. 7 abandoned...
if you own a dog, it is your responsibility, keep it up or put it down yourself. but dont let it roam and kill, and dont let it get hit in the road. i dont like to kill, i only hunt what i will eat. but a loose dog is a wild dog. it is a invasive predator and must be dealt with as such.
I'm not saying not to defend yourself or your property, your reading me wrong. If a dog comes to my house or land and attacks or acts like it is going to attack my family, my pets or me it's getting shot. I'm talking about sitting up in a tree deer hunting and a dog gets loose and happens to run by you taking a shot at it for no other reason than it's a dog. I have had many come by me hunting and it pisses me off but it goes on it's way and I go on mine. About 5 years ago I had a dog go come across the ridge I was on and get after deer down in the bottom. It ran a big doe right to me. When I got down to track the deer the dog had already found it. Hunting semi urban areas running across dogs happens a lot.

Back
Top Bottom