• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

the worst kind of hunter-shot 2 dogs because he wanted to

And not that anyone cares about the law but in the off chance someone does....

§ 4-8-5. Performing cruel acts on, or harming, maiming or killing dogs

(a) No person shall perform a cruel act on any dog; nor shall any person harm, maim, or kill any dog, or attempt to do so, except that a person may:

(1) Defend his or her person or property, or the person or property of another, from injury or damage being caused by a dog; or

(2) Kill any dog causing injury or damage to any livestock, poultry, or pet animal.

(b) The method used for killing the dog shall be designed to be as humane as is possible under the circumstances. A person who humanely kills a dog under the circumstances indicated in subsection (a) of this Code section shall incur no liability for such death.

(c) This Code section shall not be construed to limit in any way the authority or duty of any law enforcement officer, dog or rabies control officer, humane society, or veterinarian.

Interfering with a LEGAL hunt in Ga comes under the "damage or destruction" parts of what you cited

All the hunters I know are farmers. YOU obviously are not a farmer and have never tried to save any of your livestock after a trashy neighbor allowed his curr to roam and attack his animals.

If YOU are a farmer, what kind and how many head do you own? Me, cows, horses, dogs, chickens and had a goat till it was killed by a neighbor's dog.
With all due respects the Raging Cajun even posted where it is legal to take an animal down, that is attacking your live stock..Oh by the way get yourself a donkey, that will end any dog problems.

Blame Disney. It started with the "All Dogs Go To Heaven" sentiment. When you have people that actually believe a dog has an eternal life, well... you're going to get some seemingly illogical responses.
Having said that, a dog is property. It is a felony to take property above $x (varies by state). It's not hard to justify that the value of a dog exceeds that limit. I have no problem with the intentional killing of an obviously domestic dog not threatening anyone or anything being a felony charge. I'm also fine with that mind no longer being able to posses a firearm after that felony conviction.

For a domestic dog to get shot it takes at least one complete sphincter. Either the irresponsible dog owner or the shooter. In some cases both. Don't be a sphincter.

Wildlife studies have shown that the only "domestic dog" is one on a leash or under the owner's direct control. In the 90s this was closely studied, and it was found that these nice doggies that were allowed to roam free would pack up and attack livestock and wildlife.

Never complain about a dog/cat to your neighbor, if you plan on removing the dog/cat if the problem continues.

This was your original quote.
I know lots of hunters. Everyone of them have hundreds to thousands of hard earned dollars invested in their hunting land and/or lease. I have no doubt every one of them would shoot any dog running loose on their land during a hunt.

ANY strange dog that shows up in a pasture with livestock earns a shot, no question about it.
Your comment was about every hunter you know shooting every dog they see on their property during a hunt.
Now, they've suddenly morphed into farmers protecting livestock? :confused:
All the hunters I know are farmers. YOU obviously are not a farmer and have never tried to save any of your livestock after a trashy neighbor allowed his curr to roam and attack his animals.

If YOU are a farmer, what kind and how many head do you own? Me, cows, horses, dogs, chickens and had a goat till it was killed by a neighbor's dog.
The farmers can speak for themselves, which has absolutely zero to do with the OP.
For the record, if I was a farmer and any dog, feral or otherwise was endangering my livelihood, I'd do as the law allows.
When I'm hunting, I don't go popping off at every critter in the woods. I've had dogs run just as many deer TO me in the woods as away from me.
And I'd have zero problem putting down a feral dog, especially one that acted vicious towards me or mine. Now granted, my stance isn't as impressive sounding as "shoot 'em all let God sort 'em out" but that's the price of discernment I guess.

And not that anyone cares about the law but in the off chance someone does....

§ 4-8-5. Performing cruel acts on, or harming, maiming or killing dogs

(a) No person shall perform a cruel act on any dog; nor shall any person harm, maim, or kill any dog, or attempt to do so, except that a person may:

(1) Defend his or her person or property, or the person or property of another, from injury or damage being caused by a dog; or

(2) Kill any dog causing injury or damage to any livestock, poultry, or pet animal.

(b) The method used for killing the dog shall be designed to be as humane as is possible under the circumstances. A person who humanely kills a dog under the circumstances indicated in subsection (a) of this Code section shall incur no liability for such death.

(c) This Code section shall not be construed to limit in any way the authority or duty of any law enforcement officer, dog or rabies control officer, humane society, or veterinarian.
Strange, it doesn't say you can shoot em if you pay a lot of money to hunt on a hunting club.

this has kinda turned into a whats right and wrong. my opinion, the guy was wrong for killing these two dogs. a dog owner is wrong for letting their pets run loose. a person is right to kill a dog thats threatening or killing their animals or family. a hunter, like it or not has a right to kill dogs chasing deer on their hunting land. but i think it would need it to be in the act of chasing a deer, not just walking thru the woods.. again, i dont kill what i wont eat, unless it is putting something out of its misery, or protecting my own..
i can see a hunter, who spends money on a license, ammo,hunting equipment,land or land lease, seeing that as tangible property. they have a right to protect that property.
like it or dont.
i kinda got irritated with some of the dog defense remarks, as i have seen first hand what dogs can do. both with my own pets, and family livestock. my nephew lost a bunch of chickens. he also lost all the eggs those chickens would produce. they sold them, so thats income. i lost pets, we loved them. my parents lost registered dairy goats (i hate goats but thats a different story) they also had a pure blood registered Arabian mare hobbled by a dog. that was a lot of money.
long and short of it. no one can kill you dog without going to jail, IFFFFFFFF, you dog is in your yard.

Back
Top Bottom