• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

This may start an ODT Riot

Agreed, and even more to the point shooting a variety of different guns with very different types of triggers, sights, etc makes you a much better shooter over time than a guy that has a brand preference and only shoots that one kind of gun. I never understood the ford v. chevy, glock v HK, coke v pepsi type debates. The reality is that none are better than any other it's just a matter of personal preference.

A glock goes bang every time you pull the trigger, so does an HK. A glock costs half what most hk's do but hks have some style where glocks look like blocks .... it's all in what you want.

This. I love my ruger 22 pistol. I love my smith and wesson 629. Its not all about brands. Its about what you like. What you shoot best. What makes you a better shooter.

I think people associate a guns ability to survive a torture test as the better weapon when the conversation involves a Glock vs. "said gun". Glocks are good weapons, so are M&P's, Sigs, HK, Springfield, ect... Glocks are just more widely liked and used, doesn't make them better. All will put a bullet in something with good accuracy and reliability. It's just a matter of opinion.

Agreed, and even more to the point shooting a variety of different guns with very different types of triggers, sights, etc makes you a much better shooter over time than a guy that has a brand preference and only shoots that one kind of gun. I never understood the ford v. chevy, glock v HK, coke v pepsi type debates. The reality is that none are better than any other it's just a matter of personal preference.

A glock goes bang every time you pull the trigger, so does an HK. A glock costs half what most hk's do but hks have some style where glocks look like blocks .... it's all in what you want.

Torture tests prove a good point for a total **** hits the fan situation in which you run your pistol in extremely harsh conditions wiht no oil to be found, but a few things to me that make a gun get my nod for a total defense weapon are:
1. Ease of maintenace. This goes MUCH further than field stripping for cleaning. THe ability to disassemble a firearm with minimal tools, obtain replacement parts or repair kits cheaply and easily. a complete field repair kit for glocks cost 60$. This includes nearly everything except for the frame, barrel and slide. IF things get bad and I have to use my gun to defend myself, being able to quickly refurb it and get it back into action is a HUGE plus for me.
2. Ammunition it will and can handle. It needs to be able to handle everything from lightly loaded cheap target rounds to plus p defense rounds. I've used pmc bronze, cci blazer which IMHO is crap ammo if You own a beretta, and fed hornady's and speer gold dots with zero issues and minimal noticed felt recoil.
3. Cost of upgrading components/upgrade availability. Again, with a glock I installed a complete competition package for 30$ and installed it in 10 minutes, keeping my original components as reserves.

While the triggers consistency is a benefit and a bonus, it's not the main thing that brought me to glock. For the longest time I had a hard tiem adjusting to the U shaped glock sights over conventional 3 dots and the sig pumpkin on a post sights...but using just a front sight..the u shape works just fine.

I'll joke wth the smith and wesson owners about how they upgrade their triggers for 90$ and send them into a gunsmith for the firing pin block spring, but many people like smith and wesson and I'm not going to tell them they're wrong for doing so. HK's and sigs have something glocks don't, that's (to me) a crisper break in single action, however, complete disassembly is a ***** vs 3 pins and the ease of disassmelbing the slide on a glock. I'll own an HK or sig any day, but I won't run one for defense because I don't like overly complicated designs for defense. And while they have the advantage of a longer double action pull, it also creates inconsistencies. Unless you decock or dryfire a lot on double action, it takes a lot of time to get use to tat, and then the single action throws you for a loop. Glocks break the same way every shot. Carrying cocked and locked on some guns is a bonus, but with a quality holster you prevent trigger depression. As far as going into a holster causing a nd.. Well, when you own ANY gun you have to take extreme care and vigilance and be mindful of the trigger, a glock requires more vigilance and caution, especially the upgrades on mine, but, it keeps me on my toes regularly.

Heck, I just "upgraded" my G27 a minute ago... I put the fullsize smooth trigger in, extended slide stop, and stainless guide rod. I still am waiting on the LWD "pro pick" trigger kit to come in on both my G27 and G17. Do I have to do these, no, do I like to, yes. Cost around the same to do trigger work on an M&P. Also just did the .25 cent trigger job on both weapons as well.

Heck, I just "upgraded" my G27 a minute ago... I put the fullsize smooth trigger in, extended slide stop, and stainless guide rod. I still am waiting on the LWD "pro pick" trigger kit to come in on both my G27 and G17. Do I have to do these, no, do I like to, yes. Cost around the same to do trigger work on an M&P. Also just did the .25 cent trigger job on both weapons as well.

You got me curious, links? I ordered the zev competition set up.

LOL! Ok here ya go...

for the "Pro pick" for both 17 and 27 and also have SS Guide Rod for the 17 coming too
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156085&CAT=163

Stainless guide rod, smooth trigger, and extended slide stop for the G27
http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockme...33-and-39-GLOCK-Models/productinfo/GMSSR26CS/
http://www.glockmeister.com/Glock-Ext-Slide-Stop-Lever-G1718192223242526272831/productinfo/G7496/
http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-OEM-Trigger-w_Trigger-Bar-For-G17_22_31_34_35/productinfo/G357/

For the 17, titanium safety plunger and spring
http://www.glockworx.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156048&CAT=3689

And the .25 cent trigger job (just polishing all the metal to metal contact points).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom