• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on buying new Guns and "the Form"

I could care less about the form. I buy used for better prices, no tax, and dealers usually have a big markup. I understand they have to pay overhead and all, but that's not my problem.

Thanks guys. Honestly I usually just end up buying new because of the prices. Pretty much all of the time I go looking for a firearm I find at least 90% of the people selling them are asking for way more than the weapon cost brand new. I often see some trying to sell 20 year-old (plain-Jane) models for more they cost now brand new. Anyway, back on subject. Besides taxes or cost any insights on why to avoid the form?

As someone else stated, the forms stay with the FFL. If the FFL is audited, the Federal Agency could then have a look at the paperwork but generally speaking this isn't going to happen. If you've applied for and received a GWL, they have just as much information about YOU at the local Probate Court. This doesn't tell them what guns you have but it lets them know you at least have one.

Moving on to the Federal Government coming to take your guns, this is just not going to happen. There are very few Federal Agents in the US compared to the number of gun owners. The Federal Agencies would have to "request" the assistance of the local Sheriff and PD. A Federal Agent cannot tell a local Sheriff what to do. There isn't any Officers I know that would follow a request to disarm American Citizens from the standpoint of walking in your home and gathering up your firearms.

If you've walked into Walmart and bought ammo on a Debit/Credit card, they have your information. You're on video buying the ammo.

I buy and sell all the time. Sometimes I get a Bill of Sale while other times I do not, depending on how well I know the buyer. They have no way of proving what I physically own at any one time.

If you've posted a picture or a thread about a new firearm you just bought, they know about it. It's out there on the world wide web for anyone to grab and or see. Stop being paranoid about irrelevant things and focus on fighting (legally through your representative) the small infringements they try to pass with legislation. In GA, we have taken back many of our rights as it relates to firearms but we still have more work to do. Write a letter to your Representative, call them, send them a fax, take them to lunch, send emails. Then repeat all the above over and over and have your friends and family do the same. Have a Rep that doesn't support your views, work to get them out of office. Run for office yourself if you can. Just because you don't think 33 round magazines are necessary, don't let them ban them because then they will try to ban 15 rounders. They claim that if they can only get this banned, they'll be happy, and then they try to ban something else.

Well for the Parinoids and the rest of Us, you guys need to remember, yes the FFL Dealer is who keeps the Records to a Point. Once you've had a Background ran through the System your Tagged, then All the Right To Carry People are Registered also. So there ya go, who cares about Records when most if not all of us have already been Tagged in the System. Hunting Licenses also.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. It seems (going by those who have posted on this thread) that the majority of members do not have a problem with filling out a form. That is, or the one's who are opposed to this process are not chiming in?

Form never bothered me one bit.

From my understanding which could be wrong, the ATF doesn't actually know what guns you have they simply check to make sure that you are legally able to own the weapon and that the weapon itself s not stolen and is in fact new....the only record of it going to you stas on the paper form in the shop. Now this could be completely wrong but this is what I was told.

I get guns through my local shops, but 99% of the time I order it and do the transfer to avoid the taxes, taxes will eat you up espescialy on more expensive guns.....

Actually come to think of it, I have never once bought a used gun. I have sold and traded used guns, but the only time I have actually given cash for a gun was for new ones in a shop.....hmmmm interesting never thought about that till now.

Last edited:
We're all on the list, anyway, so screw it...if you find a good deal, get it...new, used, consignment, whatever...

So do you subscribe to the theory that big brother may one day go door to door? I will admit that I think about this sometimes, but who's to say one couldn't just state that they had sold it, lost the paperwork, etc.?

No Im not TOO parinoid. :rolleyes: I just like to play it safe. Nation wide collections have happened before. I am not saying that we should never buy new or anything like that. Like you guys said, there are so many guns in america, that it would be nightmare for them to try to get them all. That being said, If I wanted to get as many gus as possible, I would much rather go to a guys house that has fifty guns registered to him. He cant convince anyone that he decided to sell them all. and that he does not have any. Verses a guy who may have fifty guns but only two are registered to him. He is less of a threat because in my eyes he only has two guns. Plus He could easilly convince me that he sold them or even hand those two over to avoid a search. Just sayin. Why Not?

I seldom by new, but it has nothing to do with the form. The guns I like, S&W revolvers that are pinned and recessed, are older guns. The form does not and will not keep me from acquiring a gun that I want.

Back
Top Bottom