• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thoughts on installing an in ground pool? Type and pros vs cons?

If you have a pool would you do it again?

• Yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Not only no but hell no!

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
What? I have never heard that it reduces the value of a home?
Not necessarily the value, though it can. Most people don't want a pool and will not consider houses that have them when looking. In certain neighborhoods or locales you might get your money back, or part of it, spent on a pool, in most places it will slow the sale of a home, because of the reduced number of people who would consider purchasing your home, you might get less than without it.

I hate to put it like this but, one of the happiest days when we had it installed. Second happiest day when we tore it down.
Electric bill increased roughly 100 bucks a month, chemicals, geez ph up, ph down, more chlorine, less chlorine, leaves, work, not used.
I take the granddaughter down to the local pool in thomaston, best twenty bucks I spent.
However to each their own.

I wouldn't build a pool unless you are prepared to stay for a long time. You'll never get your money out of it.

But if you're prepared to stay, and if you like to swim, then you'll enjoy it. If you have lots of trees and no pool cover, then you'll absolutely hate it and want to fill it with dirt after the first fall/winter.

Between liner, concrete, and fiberglass, they all need maintenance eventually so I'd just go liner. If you keep your chemical balance right, then it will look nice for a long time.

Between salt, O2, and chemical I'd go chemical first and salt second. Every friend I have with a salt pool has to constantly replace metal items around the pool because of deterioration and O2 just sucks.

Chemical is actually cheap and simple if you stay far away from pool chemical products.

All you need is a professional testing kit, bleach, baking soda, borax, and few other odds and ends. There are some great tutorials online. You don't need to waste money on all the chlorine, pool shock, tablets, stabilizer, etc. In fact it is more difficult to keep your pool balanced with all that crap. Add in a decent pool robot, and maintenance is simple. Our pool has perfect ph, and I don't set foot in a pool store or buy pool chemical products.

Took care of 2 large pools for several years. They had bleach systems that constantly monitored the water. Worked perfect, and bought bleach on a drum and tossed the intake hose in it. Very simple and way cheaper than chemicals, tablets, shock, etc.

I may need to just stick with the pool on base that is free to use but only 3 or 4 months out of the year.

I installed my inground 20 x 40 liner pool with salt system myself about 8 years ago. So far so good. I bought the kit from Polar Pools. It was alot of work. I think we ended up having 11 or 12 k in the pool plus concrete deck work.

Back
Top Bottom