• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

too old for a new dog?

I always thought pit bulls were only owned by stupid rednecks. Till I was given Penny. She will play until I'm about to fall over, then lick me out of my stupor.
KIMG1862.JPG

Go ahead and get another dog, Get a rescue that's 5-6 years they live 1-12 years, old, not a puppy. At the recue groups the puppies always get adopted first and the sr. dogs sit for a while. Go to an adoption day and see if you hit it off with one of the dogs, you will know. I love Great Pyrenees, they come from 70 lbs - 150 (don't get a big one) By 4-5 years they have settled down, super loyal, super affectionate and very protective.
Good luck.
If I had known of this place I probably would have looked there. We got a 3 month old female back in June, life has a way of bringing my wife things that she really wants. She decided after meeting a few of the Great Peronese that she loved their temperament, mentioned to the DNL that she wanted one on a Sunday, Tuesday friend of the DNL was told she couldn't have hers at a rental property and Wednesday she was delivered to us. She is bumping 70 pounds at 8 months. Best behaved dog I've ever owned, I'm almost 66 and my wife is 62. The dog has an expected life span of 10 years so we may end up getting another in years to come. DNA confirmed the dog was 91% Peronese and 9% Swiss White Shepard.

I'm about to make the difficult decision to have my dog put down. She has degenerative Myelopathy. Basically ALS for dogs. She's lost use of her hind legs and has become incontinent. I'm hoping to hold out until the end of the year but she is really frustrated and probably a little scared. Fortunately I took in my nieces Husky last year so we won't be alone. I'll be 60 in a month and plan on getting another pittie. I'll be getting a rescue again. So many end up in shelters and get put down when they don't deserve it.
I was told a long time ago that the last humane thing you can do for your pet is to know when to let them go. You're doing the right thing. Sounds like it's time. She's only staying alive for you. I have one regret when I had to put my "who's a good boy" little buddy down. We spent thousands keeping him alive for us, not him, but when it got so obvious that it was past time, we took him to the vet's. The only place on earth that he hated to go. If there's ever a next time, I'll find a service that will come to our house, his favorite place and carry out the task. I don't care what it costs.

our dog died last week, we had him for 15 years or more.

Wife and I are in mid 70s now and debating getting a new puppy/young dog. Are we too old to start again?? We can't give much exercise, walks, playing in yard etc. which wouldn't be fair to a young active pup.

What is the consensus??
Nah not too old, get a young puppy. They are so much easier to train. I'm 67 now and when the current dog passes (shelter pup) and plan to get a young Rat Terrier like I used to have that passed in 2013. That was the smartest and easiest-trained dog that I've ever owned.

I only get rescue dogs, just lost a female beagle that I had 14 years. Was tough to take her to the vet, but it was time. I still have 2 more rescues, a female and a male beagle. Mine can come and go into the fenced back yard via a double flapped doggie door anytime they want to. I had to build a covered and carpeted ramp down from the main floor, as stairs were too much for the dog I just lost, she had to have back surgery ($4000) about 6 months after I got her, but she had 14 good years after that. Worth every penny.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom