• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tractor Advice

kelleyga36

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
56   0
Reaction score
OK, I have decided I need a tractor. I am thinking of getting a Kubota L2501 . I will be using it for mowing and road maintenance. Question is should I get a hydrostatic transmission, or a gear shifted transmission?

I have a 2501, its a great tractor! If you're doing Lot of front end loader work I'd get the hydrostatic, I wish I would have. I got a gear shift though.

I purchased a 3301 HST a few months ago, traded in a JD. The Kubota has more features because it's newer, but I am already thinking about trading again for a new JD. Just not quite happy as I should be with it. I only have 7 hrs on this one.

My vote is hydrostatic for all applications, especially if you are manipulating other implements. Grew up on a farm and all were manual/gear shift and they certainly got the job done but often made for a long day of shifting at row ends while turning around, backing, and lifting then dropping the 3-point plows, harrows, cultivator, bush hog, etc. With my hydrostatic drive Kubota L3700SU, which also has a front-end loader, I can control forward and reverse plus limited speed control with my right foot, always leaving one hand on the wheel while positioning my loader bucket or 3-point implement with the other. I also have an older Ford 3000 clutch and gear that I primarily use where I bush hog about seven acres at a constant speed, same gear, and maintained RPM, but use it very little for anything else. I purchased the Kubota new in 2009 and have had zero problems with the hydrostatic drive. As with most mechanical systems, preventative maintenance is the key, and the drive and hydraulic system filters and fluid changes are very easily performed.

How about road grading?

What do you mean by "road grading"

If you are talking about smoothing gravel out, and maybe pulling some ditches, Hydrstatic is fine.

if you are talking about moving dirt, I don't think you are going to be much of that with this tractor either way.

Here's the problem -- what are you going to be using the tractor for the most?

Mowing, once a week in the summer from now on? Hydrostatic

Moving a pile of dirt - rent a skid steer for a day.

If I was buying new, I certainly wouldn't buy for the "worst case" scenario, but for what you will be doing the most often.

It took me about 30 years to learn this on my own. Even if you have tractor, for a lot of stuff, it's cheaper in the long run to rent specialized equipment rather than taking the risk of tearing up your equipment.

Back
Top Bottom