• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the worst accidental discharge you have seen!

Picked up a plumber while I was still working FD that was carrying a 380 in back pocket , sat down on some stairs and gun didn’t like it. Gave him another butt hole. Saw several over the years shoot their selves cleaning firearms

Definitely had his finger on the trigger while holstering. Have seen it several times while instructing. Not possible for a holster to pull the trigger on its own. That’s why we always instruct trainees to take their SWEET time holstering the gun since that is one aspect that does NOT require speed. Usually holstering isn’t done until the threat is eliminated; meaning, relax and take your time now.

Worst ND I witnessed was on the range with another security guy. He was clearing the MK48 when the charging handle slipped out of his hand while pulling it to the rear. I had my ear pros off and was looking down range when the round blasted out and ricocheted off a rock in front of the muzzle. We checked ourselves to make sure we weren’t injured. I took over clearing that day after that incident. I near shat myself since I wasn’t anticipating it and that mofo is LOUD as ****.

I am pretty sure his finger was clear. I believe it was his shirt that pressed the trigger. It was a less than 2 pound trigger so it is possible anything hit it.

Was working on a 2018 F350 crew cab truck. Went to open front passenger door and saw a nice 9mm hole centered in the sheet metal. It was an exit hole.

When owner picked it up, I had to ask.
He said he was showing his new glock to his buddy and how easy it was to field strip it. Yup, gotta pull the trigger first.

Buddy was missed "by that much".

My buddy blasting my livingroom floor and new couch with a Keltec KSG loaded with 00 buck, about 3 feet from me...

I was cleaning his and smoothing out the action, and was explaining to him how I smoothed my KSG out... While I was cleaning his, I guess he picked mine up out of my bag, and went to rack it and see the action... All of the sudden BOOOOM. Bits of wood splinters everywhere... my dogs take off scared to death...

I am looking down at the gun I am working on... I was stunned a bit... I was like... the gun is unloaded, I have the trigger assembly off the gun and a bore brush down the barrel, how could it possible go off?

Then I look over at him and see him with my gun, which I kept loaded... He didn't check, just racked it to test the action and thought he was dry firing it... Luckily it was pointed at the floor, but scared the piss out of us and he learned a valuable lesson...

I made him stay there till my wife got home so he could explain to her what happened... Spent the next month texting him pictures of sofa's and loveseats with the caption "Hands up don't shoot!"...

He ignored the first rule of gun safety...

35-ish years ago I was in the process of putting away my guns and gear and had already double confirmed my Ruger 10/22 was fully unloaded.
At that point my friend reminded me we haven't shot any CCI Stingers yet,
and we had planned to test a Stinger round (advertised muzzle velocity of 1600 ft./s !) by shooting an aluminum drink can full of creek water.

So I loaded three CCI stingers in the gun while my buddy searched for some empty cans along the creek bank.
He found one, and we filled it up and set it on a mound of dirt on the bank of the creek.

I put the magazine in, stepped back about 15 yards, chambered the round,
took aim, and popped that can dead center.
It split wide open and made an impressive geyser of water.

Then, he took the dripping can back to our vehicle for garbage disposal while I walked back to the trunk to put the rifle away. I dropped the magazine from it. I totally forgot about the round in the chamber,
(because I'd forgotten that I had loaded three rounds but only fired one).
I "thought" my .22 rifle had the bolt closed on an empty chamber.

So I casually pointed the rifle barrel at the ground just a few feet away from where I stood, pointing it towards the soft dirt, and I pulled the trigger, expecting to hear a "click."

Right at that moment my friend, who had tossed the shredded can on the floorboard of the passenger side of the car, had walked back towards me by the trunk.
My rifle fired and put a bullet in the sandy soil about 2 ft. in front of his toes.
Oopie...
My bad.

Back
Top Bottom