• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What caliber do you carry and why?

My apologies, sir. I happened to miss that particular statement. So I do apologize for reprising something you had already touched on.

And as far as .44 Mag rounds...I have read the same data you are citing - full-house .44's make a LOUSY defense round for the very reasons you stated. A person would most likely kill some in the next room as easily as the person standing right in front of them posing a threat. I'm sure a hot .357 will do the same thing when stuffed with the wrong bullet. But with a bullet designed to expand rapidly...it can (and will) do an impressive amount of internal damage without blowing through the target.

Again...sorry...resume the 9/40/45 debate. I forgot...only calibers that readily exist in semi-auto form need apply to any self-defense scenario since revolvers are woefully inadequate in these situations (Monte...this last statement if not aimed at you or any other particular person...just seems to be the general consensus of everyone involved in this entire thread).

No, good point. As far as I know, the .357 -125 gr. jhp is still one of the best rounds out there as far as actual street performance as you made mention.
In my classes I encourage many people to consider a 3" or 4" .38/.357 revolver because I know they will not practice at all once they finish our class. Full size revolvers are a greatly underutilized platform that can be very effective in the hands of a good shooter... or sometimes even a so-so shooter.

But everybody seems to love the semi-autos & they're great but the best training in the world won't stay with you if you don't practice... proficiency with a pistol is a perishable skill, use it or lose it.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of data out there on all of the calibers everyone else is talking about. I was wondering if some one could provide some good information on the 10mm. It is hard to come by as many people seem to have forgotten the round except the niche of shooters that still use for a variety of things.

I can emphatically state that I for one do not want to be shot by it.

I forgot who (but will look it up) makes reduced rounds for use against human threats that shouldn't overpenetrate & should allow for faster followup shots.

I do know DoubleTap makes some excellent high power rounds for when you want that extra punch...the owners favorite caliber I believe is the 10mm.

Last edited:
I can emphatically state that I for one do not want to be shot by it.

I forgot who (but will look it up) makes reduced rounds for use against human threats that shouldn't overpenetrate & should allow for faster followup shots.

I do know DoubleTap makes some excellent high power rounds for when you want that extra punch...the owners favorite caliber I believe is the 10mm.

I can state that I do not want to be shot by any caliber out there. I used to play competitive paintball on the national level and bear scars from close range shots. If it hurts more than paintball I am game for never being shot in my life.

Thanks for the help monte. I have been looking around but I think double tap rounds look the best of what I could find that places have in stock. Right now I am loaded with BVAC rounds tipped with Montana gold hollow points pushing out around 1140 fps and 520 ft lbs out to 25 yards.

No, good point. As far as I know, the .357 -125 gr. jhp is still one of the best rounds out there as far as actual street performance as you made mention.
In my classes I encourage many people to consider a 3" or 4" .38/.357 revolver because I know they will not practice at all once they finish our class. Full size revolvers are a greatly underutilized platform that can be very effective in the hands of a good shooter... or sometimes even a so-so shooter.

But everybody seems to love the semi-autos & they're great but the best training in the world won't stay with you if you don't practice... proficiency with a pistol is a perishable skill, use it or lose it.

I actually prefer 158's over 125's in .357's - but that's just me. To me, dropping to a 125 grain projectile takes away any advantage of shooting a .357 Mag. Close to the same power/energy levels can be achieved with a cheaper, more compact 9mm +P+ round at 124 grains. A decently loaded 158 grain JHP packs more energy and is easier on the gun as well. As long as the bullet is designed to open up quickly, even a 158 won't overpenetrate. I can only attest that the fully jacketed round I took the deer with did not exit the opposite side. That deer took every bit of energy the round had...and from what I have read and been told...that's what you really want from almost any round - hunting or self-defense - is for the target to have to absorb as much energy (read damage) as possible. If the bullet leaves the other side...the target didn't absorb all the energy. Hence the term overkill...I guess.

I do practice as often as I can...and am making preparations to do so more often than I am currently (would like to get back to once a week instead of once every few weeks). Put it simply...I feel more comfortable shooting a mid-sized revolver (talking S&W K-frames/L-frames and guns of similar size) than any semi-auto I have ever owned. So I practice...and pray that I am never in a situation where I end up taking on more threats than I have ammo capacity.

Last edited:
The one thing that's not been mentioned in this discussion (I think) is felt recoil. A lot of people are turned off by the recoil of a .45 ACP. (you know, that opposite reaction of the energy they don't have) vs. lighter cartridges such as the 9mm, and if you're not up to it, it's far easier to limp-wrist and jam a .45 ACP than a 9. The reason I have my .45 24/7 compact (even though it has to be a piece of crap because it didn't cost over $800) is because the person I got it from didn't like the snap of it, and got a 9mm to replace it. As for as capacity, I'm satisfied with my 24 + 1 .45 ACP HP's.

The one thing that's not been mentioned in this discussion (I think) is felt recoil. A lot of people are turned off by the recoil of a .45 ACP. (you know, that opposite reaction of the energy they don't have) vs. lighter cartridges such as the 9mm, and if you're not up to it, it's far easier to limp-wrist and jam a .45 ACP than a 9. The reason I have my .45 24/7 compact (even though it has to be a piece of crap because it didn't cost over $800) is because the person I got it from didn't like the snap of it, and got a 9mm to replace it. As for as capacity, I'm satisfied with my 24 + 1 .45 ACP HP's.

LMAO!

but, 24+1??? If the mags not in the gun, it doesn't count towards capacity.

Back
Top Bottom