• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What Would You Do?

I was a STATE LEO and worked all over the state and adjoing states with their LEOs including places in Florida working with FDLE , US Customs, US Coast Guard et al on Drug Interdiction Programs, TN, SC, NC, did a couple weeks with Los Angeles PD Central Narcotics, and Miami doesn't have a thing on the city of Atlanta when it comes to violence, I worked under cover and other facets of drug enforcement with DEA task forces for half my career, spent some years on the fugitive squad locating and apprehending escaped felons ( you know that small town stuff , drug smugglers, ..rapist, murderers, child killers, cop killers) I've looked at the business end of many firearms and seen many dead..want to compare numbers. You may have seen some things and not trying to take that way from you, but it was my job to search it out see it every day for 30+ years.
I went by what you wrote, seen in the quote below.
Oh, I almost forgot, I did take down a Security Chief for an organized South American cocaine organization in little small town Cumming, Ga. nothing dangerous of course, he was only armed with automatic weapons, live hand grenades and live claymore mines..just small town Georgia stuff.
By the way, just a little helpful pointer......I wouldn't stand before a judge and jury and use 'I am pretty good judge of people as a defense to shooting someone".

ok then i stand corrected, i was just saying i know how to handle a gun very well, and i have been in life threating situations many times, i not a bad ass, i have just went through alot more than some people. and p.s. thank you for your service sir.

Last edited:
O.K.,
How did this turn into, I was this and that, badder than him or you?, I used to shoot flies at hundred yards (with my red rider) and my Dad can beat up your Dad with one arm behind his back. Come on guys, it's a legit question and personal opinions and situations vary, no matter what you used to do or where you grew up. Starting to see GON attitudes! Lets have fun, shoot some cans and hope we never need to shoot anybody.
Stay loose, steady and Ready,
1coolhand

Two points:1. the man basically in the way he phrased his post asked what my experience was vs his.
2. a poster a couple of days ago, asked that those of us with LE experience to answer some of these questions because of the training and experience we have.
Show me one post where I have ever said I was bad, I do not make foolish statements like that. The case of the hand grenades was a point that big town , little town can be irrelevant doesn't necessarily make a difference where a man lives or works. You guys want to carry firearms based on what you think and believe training and experience to be of no value, great ..good luck.
I have plenty of other things to do besides spend all day on here trying to help people stay out of trouble.
I'm trying to save lives, not dirt bags, but good intentioned firearms carriers.
Tell you what , you answer their questions from now on.

Last edited:
ok then i stand corrected, i was just saying i know how to handle a gun very well, and i have been in life threating situations many times, i not a bad ass, i have just went through alot more than some people. and p.s. thank you for your service sir.

I'm not trying to kick you man, I'm just trying to get people that carry guns to realize there is a lot more to it than getting a permit and carrying it around.
Actually using one requires even more thought and evaluation, it isn't as simple a thing as I'd shoot the guy..it goes far, far beyond that.
I reply to these posts not because I think I know everything, heck man, I was an instructor for over 20 yrs and I continued to attend training myself at every opportunity because things change and you have to keep your edge up.
I learn things from some of the posts I read on here ..none of us knows everything..when you find someone that does, run away just as fast as you can because you've just met a certifiable fool.
Print yourself a copy of the Ga Code about firearms, it starts around 16-11-126 and goes to about 16-11-131 or so. Make sure you know it well ,if you have questions ask you local DA or one of his attorneys.
Read some of the old guys stuff, Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith pioneers in firearms training. Any "qualified" means available to you.
Don't take using that weapon lightly! If you ever have to, you'll have be able to show that you educated yourself in the skill and the legalities to best of your ability.
If you think I can help you, by all means pm me and I'll do what I can and if I don't have the answer, I refer you to the place to get it from a professional.
I don't mind one bit spending time with with fellow gun enthusiasts when they want to learn and feel that I have something to offer them..I've done that all my life.
Best to you!!

Last edited:
My answer to the OP:

Too many variables for me to jump in and use deadly force. If I were to see someone pull a gun on the store clerk and I pull mine from under my sweatshirt, how does that look to Johnny Thirdparty with his concealed Glock standing behind me? Does it look like I part of the crime? In Johnny's head it may look like I'm about to start executing bystanders so he fires on me to be a good citizen - Game Over for me.

No way man, too much on the line for me to play Cop. I could come up with crazy scenarios all day but I'm sure you all see what I'm getting at.

This quote tells that this particular poster will allow you to die. Sorry not me. Even though I am LEO, I will protect John Q Public anyway I can. No one deserves to die. It's not playing "cop" it's not letting an innocent human being get injured or killed. I am sorry but by the way you just made yourself sound in your post gives your no reason to carry. I don't carry just to protect my own life but others as well.

I'm not trying to kick you man, I'm just trying to get people that carry guns to realize there is a lot more to it than getting a permit and carrying it around.
Actually using one requires even more thought and evaluation, it isn't as simple a thing as I'd shoot the guy..it goes far, far beyond that.
I reply to these posts not because I think I know everything, heck man, I was an instructor for over 20 yrs and I continued to attend training myself at every opportunity because things change and you have to keep your edge up.
I learn things from some of the posts I read on here ..none of us knows everything..when you find someone that does, run away just as fast as you can because you've just met a certifiable fool.
Print yourself a copy of the Ga Code about firearms, it starts around 16-11-126 and goes to about 16-11-131 or so. Make sure you know it well ,if you have questions ask you local DA or one of his attorneys.
Read some of the old guys stuff, Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith pioneers in firearms training. Any "qualified" means available to you.
Don't take using that weapon lightly but when you'll have be able to show that you educated yourself in the skill and the legalities to best of your ability.
If you think I can help you, by all means pm me and I'll do what I can and if I don't have the answer, I refer you to the place to get it from a professional.
I don't mind one bit spending time with with fellow gun enthusiasts when they want to learn and feel that I have something to offer them..I've done that all my life.
Best to you!!

This country needs more men like this...

"Badger", anytime you're in the mood, up this way, or have the time... you are welcome to come to my range/school & participate.

This country needs more men like this...

"Badger", anytime you're in the mood, up this way, or have the time... you are welcome to come to my range/school & participate.

Thank you for the kind words, but I'm just an ordinary old guy trying to be a little useful when I can.
Appreciate the invitation as well.

you and monte as well as others are very much appreciated. i learn a lot and share what i can. valuable resource when someone with experience is willing to share it.

x2 on Monte's and Badger's comments...

I hope to never be in the situation that the OP has presented to us here in this thread. However, should that happen, the last thing I want is to go out in a blaze of glory. The thought of taking another human life is not one I take lightly, regardless of the situation. I can only imagine the weight that action would place on a person over the years, even in the knowledge that I did what I had to do to protect my family. I don't get the Rambo attitude displayed by some here but to me it is locker room bravado. Something I understand even less is why someone would carry a firearm for protection and NOT train with it properly. In a stressful situation I believe that many of these "gun toters" think they will perform at their highest, when in reality, we typically perform at our lowest level of proficiency. Thus the need for raising that lowest level thru adequate, constant, and persistent training. I hear of people talking about "truck" guns like they are throw away guns, not willing to invest $$$ into the very thing that may save (or cost) them their life.

I carry daily. Concealed, because I like the tactical advantage it gives me and don't like the stares or bullseye an open carry puts on me. I carry a tupperware gun that is ugly by some peoples standards because it isn't all metal and doesn't have mother of pearl grips. I believe in it 100% of the time and I bet my life on it daily and will continue to do so. Badger I hear your comments and I appreciate them immensely as do I your years of service. I sincerely wish that all those that carry daily would at least take a minute to let your ideas sink it just a little deeper before they get up in arms. I believe this site has an immense amount of collective knowledge, we will just all have to learn to ignore the bravado of the locker room studs.

Back
Top Bottom