• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What Would You Do?

these are similar scenarios we sometimes face in training. but are stressed that these fall under the "reasonable man standard" or "doctrine"....right out of one of my training aids..."each person owes a duty to behave as a reasonable person would under the same or similar circumstances"

One thing is for sure, no matter how much you prepare yourself, when the time comes no one really knows how they will react and what they will do. Adrenaline can make you do a lot of different things.

I know I cant sit here and say, "yeah thats what I would do"

Yes, but when we provide information based on many years of training and experience, we get trounced upon by the, look at me I have a gun..I'm bad,..I'll this and that bunch until it becomes a total waste of time and exercise in futility to try and be helpful.

Badger, don't be shy when you post. Let everyone know you are LEO. That makes you the expert on this type of thing and I think most would respect that if they know who you are. I had figured out that Ken and Chiefsquirrel are LEO before, but did not realize you were until now. You guys may hesitate to remind everyone who you are because you don't want to come off as a "know it all", but you ARE "know it alls" in this area. You are the ones that have dealt with this day to day as part of your life. So, remind everyone here when they should be listening to the voice if experience.

He77, anyone that has read my posts knows I'm very opinionated about this, but if one of you guys tells me I'm wrong I'm going to listen.

If the perp has a gun and is threatening to kill someone, i'm going to smoke his ass.
What if you don't shoot, and he kills someone? Do you then shoot him?
I ain't waiting.

A person is justified in using deadly force which may harm or kill only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony (unless it is regarding defense of habitation, which has it's own requirements below). You are not justified if you were the aggressor or you are/were/on-the-way-to committing a felony. (The state has pre-empted local cities and counties from further restricting this defense.)(16-3-21)

JMHO

Last edited:
I would promptly about face and walk away. I carry to protect mine and my own. I am not superman, I am not the punisher, I am not a Texas ranger and I am to fat to be Andy Griffith. It is not worth the legal bills if you were to draw and shoot, kill and then not be able to prove you were in immediate deadly danger. Now if some one drew down on me I would end him and make damn sure the last thing he saw was my cold eyes staring into his as I choked the life from him.

Most people won't like the first answer but jails are full of people who thought they were doing right and turns out as soon as they touched off they went from being an armed citizen to a cold blooded murder.

It is so hard to say what ANYONE will do in this situation...I would hope and pray that I would be calm and have a steady hand regardless of my actions. Many variables here as to where I am, who is with me, how many of them, what is that persons demeanor?.....All these factor into my decision making process....a rapid scene assessment would be very important and then taking quick decisive action based on your evaluation of the situation. Regardless, either scenario has ramifications that one would have to live with.

If I can walk away or escape a potential hostage situation, ESPECIALLY if I have my family with me, WE are OUT!!! If I have to defend my family I will do what I have to get them clear of danger. Run, Fight, Shoot....whatever it takes, I would protect my family at all costs.

However, if I were taken hostage, with or without my family, I would want to appear as docile and compliant as possible to keep off the radar. The only exception would be if I thought that the bad guy was going to kill someone else and I had a clean shot at a comfortable distance. If he wants to knock someone around I am OK with that. I am going to do what I can to avoid a shooting, trial, lawsuit, etc....but if I have to pull my sidearm I hope the only thing he sees is a muzzle flash..

Last edited:
when the bad guy has a gun pointed at someone asking for their money. he sees your gun then shoots them. how do you feel now? how did you help?

Again, Im not the one commiting a felony here. If that guy has balls enough or is that mentaly messed up to rob somebody at gun point, I would then have to assume the worst, I may not make it home. If the perp see's that I have a gun then it's to late, he is done.

Back
Top Bottom