• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's Going On with Pricing between FS & FT? Come on Guys!!!

OP, you clearly never listed something at a reasonable price only to be lowballed with a trade offer based on your selling price value.

For example, I listed a Gen 5 G19 with some extras at $420 recently. I threw in a Shockwave 12GA in for $650 total for both. But, if I was going to take a trade it had to be valued at what both guns sell for on average new.

So, theoretically, I should be receiving trade offers in the $550 or so range of guns for G19, or $850 or so for both based on at cost value. But nooooo...... Here come offers for guns that sell new $399 or less, etc... for the G19 because I priced it close to their perceived value, and you get the idea.

The concept may seem odd to some but it does keep the playing field a little more even. I have bought, sold and traded a decent amount here over the years and it is a fact that if you list an item for a good price on a cash sale you will get hit with guys that want to trade their 500.00 Glock against the discounted cash price. Happens to me all the time. listing a trade value closer to retail cuts down some of that aggrevation. I'm not a particular fan of trade values listed retail plus or statements of "heavily in my favor" but to each his own. No biggie. In most cases it really doesn't matter because if two parties really want to make a deal they make it work so both parties are happy and all those listed prices go out the window. That has been my experience in most cases.

I can tolerate a small increase in trade value, but I saw one on here with a $800 sale/$1200 trade value! Can't comprehend what justifies that much of a difference, but I can comprehend why it keeps getting relisted every 3 days for months on end............

Cash value is Trade value !!

There is no difference ... it’s just up to you how bad do want it ? If you’re happy with the item and what you paid or traded for it then good. If not move along and go to the next page of deals. Thanks and Good Day

The concept may seem odd to some but it does keep the playing field a little more even. I have bought, sold and traded a decent amount here over the years and it is a fact that if you list an item for a good price on a cash sale you will get hit with guys that want to trade their 500.00 Glock against the discounted cash price. Happens to me all the time. listing a trade value closer to retail cuts down some of that aggrevation. I'm not a particular fan of trade values listed retail plus or statements of "heavily in my favor" but to each his own. No biggie. In most cases it really doesn't matter because if two parties really want to make a deal they make it work so both parties are happy and all those listed prices go out the window. That has been my experience in most cases.
Stop! your making too much sense and will confuse everybody.

Interesting..I went back and looked to the very beginning and read the very FIRST for sale post that was posted on the ODT and the first gun listed for sale.(it was a Glock)...

2nd post in ODT archive history?...Was a post complaining that the price was to high...

I can tolerate a small increase in trade value, but I saw one on here with a $800 sale/$1200 trade value! Can't comprehend what justifies that much of a difference, but I can comprehend why it keeps getting relisted every 3 days for months on end............

I see your point but that has to be looked at on a case by case scenario. If someone is selling a 1200.00 item for 800.00 cash hoping for a quick sale because they need it but will consider trade at a true market value I have no problem with that no matter how far the spread between cash sale and trade value is.

I see your point but that has to be looked at on a case by case scenario. If someone is selling a 1200.00 item for 800.00 cash hoping for a quick sale because they need it but will consider trade at a true market value I have no problem with that no matter how far the spread between cash sale and trade value is.
Point taken, but if it was reduced that much from fair market value for a quick sale it wouldn't be sitting for several months with no lucky buyer..........

Back
Top Bottom