• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why cover serial numbers when selling?

i never understood it myself. i cant think of any reason to cover it up. the ones that do it are probably the same ones that think a BOS covers their a$$. to each his own i guess.

I can only share a story that happened to a good friend of mine. I cover my serial numbers because of what happened to him.

My friend made very good, detailed photographs of a high end electric guitar and put together a post to sell (not here on the ODT, but it could happen anywhere). His serial number was in one of the pictures and very clear to read. The day after his post he had a person wanting to buy, the meet was set and when he showed up he was arrested. He was charged with possession of stolen goods. Had to go to the expense to bond out of jail and meet with the detectives to get to the bottom of the story. It's a long story but to shorten it, a person gambled that my pal did not have original receipts proving ownership. The con guy had taken the serial number seen in the posting along with detailed description and made a police report stating the make, model and serial number in his report as stolen from his automobile the day before. He called the police the next morning to report that to his surprise the item was on the internet for sale. The police set up a meet and off to jail goes my pal. After getting the details he was able to supply the original purchase receipt (which he said he had to tear his home apart to find) and the police were able to go to the store where the purchase had been made and verify he was in fact the legal owner. This backfired on the con guy who was then locked up for fraud, the con guy was told in court that he had to make restitution to my pal but to this day that has not happened. This makes me mad as hell, and the fact that your guilty until proven innocent makes it worse. I'm L.E.O. and would have never guessed that such low life folks are out there pulling this stunt. Sad thing is I'll bet most of us have something with a serial number on it and have no way to prove we are the original/rightful owner - think about it and you'll most likely cover your serial numbers on future posts, better safe than sorry .........

I can only share a story that happened to a good friend of mine. I cover my serial numbers because of what happened to him.

My friend made very good, detailed photographs of a high end electric guitar and put together a post to sell (not here on the ODT, but it could happen anywhere). His serial number was in one of the pictures and very clear to read. The day after his post he had a person wanting to buy, the meet was set and when he showed up he was arrested. He was charged with possession of stolen goods. Had to go to the expense to bond out of jail and meet with the detectives to get to the bottom of the story. It's a long story but to shorten it, a person gambled that my pal did not have original receipts proving ownership. The con guy had taken the serial number seen in the posting along with detailed description and made a police report stating the make, model and serial number in his report as stolen from his automobile the day before. He called the police the next morning to report that to his surprise the item was on the internet for sale. The police set up a meet and off to jail goes my pal. After getting the details he was able to supply the original purchase receipt (which he said he had to tear his home apart to find) and the police were able to go to the store where the purchase had been made and verify he was in fact the legal owner. This backfired on the con guy who was then locked up for fraud, the con guy was told in court that he had to make restitution to my pal but to this day that has not happened. This makes me mad as hell, and the fact that your guilty until proven innocent makes it worse. I'm L.E.O. and would have never guessed that such low life folks are out there pulling this stunt. Sad thing is I'll bet most of us have something with a serial number on it and have no way to prove we are the original/rightful owner - think about it and you'll most likely cover your serial numbers on future posts, better safe than sorry .........

this

Perfect example, Case closed. I always hide my serial because of things like this.

This is why I cover mine aswell.
Not gonna chance it, I will show it to the buyer or trade.
Or BOS if they want.

Back
Top Bottom