• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why cover serial numbers when selling?

Ok let me ask you this, If I show a gun to someone at a show....What stops them from remembering the sn. especially Glock with 3 letter 3 number sn?

Nothing, but I hope you have proof of ownership.
I have a G21 I bought back in 94 and I have no clue as to where the dang receipt is and the store has changed ownership.

Nothing, but I hope you have proof of ownership.
I have a G21 I bought back in 94 and I have no clue as to where the dang receipt is and the store has changed ownership.
So, if you cover sn on here and meet up with someone and they see it, whats the diff from posting a pic with the sn? Guess I am lost on this. I go to gun shows all the time and no one hides the sn. But on a web site everyone does.

Ok, so there is a reason, although I still think it's kind of a stretch. If the thing is reported stolen after the time your add comes out, it still puts the burden of proof on your accuser. After all, you can easily show the date and time of your add, and it would seem awful weird to any LEO that the thing wasn't reported stolen until after you placed your add with serial number showing.

All in all, I see this as people looking for something to worry about. A little logic goes a long way folks...

Same reason people delete the license plate on a car for sell.

I'm pretty sure that has more to do with licence plates being traceable to specific person and address. In some states licence plate info, at least used to be, open information. So if you had a licence plate, you could technically find out a lot about a person. However, there's nothing to stop someone from just getting your plate while you're driving down the road.

I mean Obama got elected president, and he still has something like a 40% approval rating. It's obvious we're not a nation of rocket scientists....:crazy:

Good question.

This:
Ok, so there is a reason, although I still think it's kind of a stretch. If the thing is reported stolen after the time your add comes out, it still puts the burden of proof on your accuser. After all, you can easily show the date and time of your add, and it would seem awful weird to any LEO that the thing wasn't reported stolen until after you placed your add with serial number showing.

All in all, I see this as people looking for something to worry about. A little logic goes a long way folks...

And in the meantime, you set in jail as this is not going to be prooven on the spot, you have to make bail, and then the fun part, You have to proove it in a court of law. You know " Guilty till prooven innosent thing" all cost paid by you! Yaaaaaa!!!!
NO THANKS!

It's not really a big deal either way I guess but here are some things that are evil that someone could do if they have the serial numbers to your guns.

1. Call the police and say that xxx is the serial number of THEIR gun that was stolen and they saw it on the forum ... and if you don't have a bill of sale you can't prove otherwise.
2. Call the police at random and say that it's stolen and point to your add just to screw with you
3. Type them into a database that ties them to an individual and then track them as they pop up in different peoples ads just to watch it flow (not evil I guess but none of their business)

Back
Top Bottom