You can't always get what you want

kbkatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   0
Reaction score
but if you try, you can get what you need.

I was stalking the rifles' Classifieds for a while - looking for a 45-70 lever action. I watched a lot of Marlins and Henry's come and go. A few higher priced "collectables". Finally saw what I wanted, the Marlin SBL - Stainless with a rail.

But despite my best efforts, I somehow missed out on the deal.

After going through that experience I threw thrift and frugality to the wind and bought the Ridge Runner Takedown. Its made by Chiappa and distributed by Taylors and Co - you can read the specs there. I bought it on Bud's - you can find the price there.

I like the takedown feature, though I have not needed it yet. I like the sights on this better than the marlin or Henry. I have the Aimpoint on it only because no one wanted to buy it and I thought I'd try it out.

I've only shot 20 rounds so far at an indoor range but will take it out next weekend to shoot things that blow up or fall down and will decide if I want to keep the Aimpoint on it. I'm looking forward to using it for the next hog hunt to take the place of my Steyr Scount rifle that usually gets that job.

The action was a little stiff the first day, but that was out of the box with nothing but a bore snake touching it before shooting. After the first 20 rounds and some cleaning and oil, it feels a good bit smoother. I handled a few of the options in the store. The Rossi was like running rocks over a cheese grater. The Marlin was a bit rough, and the Henry all weather was very smooth. I'd rate this as smooth as the Henry. I like the look and feel of the coated stock. I would have been happier with more capacity/longer tube, but was fine with the drop since I really didn't have a practical need for it. It balances well, shoots great.
ridge 2.jpg
ridge 1.jpg

I liked the stainless version better in the pictures, but I'm glad I opted for this version in the end now that I have it in person.

Tried it with and without the muzzle brake. Slight difference in recoil (less) using the brake. The threaded barrel is just crying out for a silencer.

Back
Top Bottom