• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

You can't always get what you want

I would rather have wood but to each his own. I can say that the receiver looks as refined as any lever gun and a whole lot other guns I have seen. The fit and finish of the action and receiver looks amazing. I just can't get over how good it looks. I would have to say that it puts Winchester and Marlin to shame in that category. I think with the way it looks that it will smooth out real nice after a few rounds go down the pipe. If they have a wood or laminate model I might have to pick up one of those. Very nice purchase. Give us a range report when you get a chance. I would love to know how she performs.

but if you try, you can get what you need.

I was stalking the rifles' Classifieds for a while - looking for a 45-70 lever action. I watched a lot of Marlins and Henry's come and go. A few higher priced "collectables". Finally saw what I wanted, the Marlin SBL - Stainless with a rail.

But despite my best efforts, I somehow missed out on the deal.

After going through that experience I threw thrift and frugality to the wind and bought the Ridge Runner Takedown. Its made by Chiappa and distributed by Taylors and Co - you can read the specs there. I bought it on Bud's - you can find the price there.

I like the takedown feature, though I have not needed it yet. I like the sights on this better than the marlin or Henry. I have the Aimpoint on it only because no one wanted to buy it and I thought I'd try it out.

I've only shot 20 rounds so far at an indoor range but will take it out next weekend to shoot things that blow up of fall down and will decide if I want to keep the Aimpoint on it. I'm looking forward to using it for the next hog hunt to take the place of my Steyr Scount rifle that usually gets that job.

The action was a little stiff the first day, but that was out of the box with nothing but a bore snake touching it before shooting. After the first 20 rounds and some cleaning and oil, it feels a good bit smoother. I handled a few of the options in the store. The Rossi was like running rocks over a cheese grater. The Marlin was a bit rough, and the Henry all weather was very smooth. I'd rate this as smooth as the Henry. I like the look and feel of the coated stock. I would have been happier with more capacity/longer tube, but was fine with the drop since I really didn't have a practical need for it. It balances well, shoots great. View attachment 1491319View attachment 1491321

I liked the stainless version better in the pictures, but I'm glad I opted for this version in the end now that I have it in person.

Tried it with and without the muzzle brake. Slight difference in recoil (less) using the brake. The threaded barrel is just crying out for a silencer.
VERY NICE. GLAD YOU FOUND YOUR DREAM GUN. YOU CAN FIND ALMOST ANYTHING YOU WANT ON HERE IF YOU HAVE SOME PATIENCE,DO YOUR HOMEWORK,COMMUNICATE WELL WITH PEOPLE ,BE POLITE,AND ACCOUNTABLE.GIVE FEEDBACK,KEEP YOUR WORD,YOU'LL NEVER HAVE A BAD DAY.

Outstanding! Can’t go wrong with a John Moses Browning design. The 1886 is a great rifle.

Agree, I had to have a 1886 Winchester or copy of some sort. I already bought an 1873 Winchester - the new production by Miroku which is traditional looking wood and case hardened coloring. that's in 357 mag and is for fun and for looks. this one was meant to be a bit more practical and useful and in a larger caliber.

of all the options - I'm happy I ended up here.

but if anyone like rifles and shooting and hasn't tried an 86 in 45-70, they just don't know what they are missing.

Agree, I had to have a 1886 Winchester or copy of some sort. I already bought an 1873 Winchester - the new production by Miroku which is traditional looking wood and case hardened coloring. that's in 357 mag and is for fun and for looks. this one was meant to be a bit more practical and useful and in a larger caliber.

of all the options - I'm happy I ended up here.

but if anyone like rifles and shooting and hasn't tried an 86 in 45-70, they just don't know what they are missing.

I had a modern Winchester 1886 carbine in .45-70, traded it away. Regretted it later.

The Winchester 71 (a modified 1886) has been on my bucket list for years. Not especially hard to find, I just haven’t justified the purchase to myself yet.

It's got a hefty MSRP but I am sure the retailers are selling for a bit lower than that. Like I said before fit and finish are second to none in the lever action world. I am very interested in what it does on paper. When you get it broke in a tad print up a couple groups and grace us with a pic or two if you would. That is all. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom