• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

You gotta call the ATF if I do what???

so I was looking at guns in a pawn shop Friday and I overheard one of the sales people say they are now required to call the ATF if you want to purchase more than 1 gun in a single transaction. Anybody else heard of that one or were they misinformed in some sort of way or what?
bought three guns a cherokee same transaction...someone is misinformed

bought three guns a cherokee same transaction...someone is misinformed

Not MIS-informed...simply UN-informed. It's not something they have to tell you. There's no law against buying them in batches, but they have to inform the ATF of the purchase. Just like the bank is required to inform the government if you take out more than $10k in cash. And pawn shops are required to inform the IRS(I believe is the appropriate agency) if you buy $10k in merchandise in a year with cash. It's a sign of possible money laundering.

Last edited:
isn't that what they do anyway?? i only filled out one form
You would have had to fill out one form for each weapon regardless of how many you bought and when you bought them. **edit- I didn't know you could buy more than one weapon on one from, but apparently you can.** Then after you left they should have filled out another form notifying the ATF and local law enforcement that you bought multiples. You would never know that they did it.

Last edited:
Some people prefer to not have all their firearms in their name. When Katrina happened in New Orleans they went door to door taking all firearms that were register. I'm not sure what part of that is confusing.

The part where the only registration they could possibly have had to go on was purchase form(4473) which are maintained ONLY in the gun shops and pawn shops, and records maintained by the ATF. From all the videos I saw the confiscations were not done by any registry but by simply going from door to door and asking people if they had guns, then taking them. The guys in the boat had their rifles confiscated and were obviously not tracked down by registry. Also, half the confiscations were conducted by National Guard and not police.

:spy:
isn't that what they do anyway?? i only filled out one form
Normally when you buy a gun you fill out a form 4473. The FFL is required to keep that for 20 years and the ATF can request it if that gun ever turns up and a criminal investigation is opened. However, when you buy multiples the FFL is required to report it to the ATF and local law enforcement and they don't have to tell you that they are doing it.

I didn't know about this until today, but I don't think I've ever bought multiples.

Section D on the 4473 has lines for more than one firearm. I think you can pick up, up to 3 guns on one 4473. But that's just a guess based on the form.. whether the form is used as it looks or not is anyones guess. However, that's also irrelevant to the multiple purchase question. That's still a separate issue.

Back
Top Bottom