• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

You have $1200 to spend....

What AR do you buy? I like the bull barrel models and I would like no iron sights.

But what would you recommend your friend who has no clue and is confused as to what to purchase. Also, I do not want to buy twice due to buying to cheap to start with. I know my budget is not huge, but....best value for quality at this price point?

Do you buy a good AR, or a cheaper one and a Glock 21 new? Public servant discount.

Thanks,
Pulpit

Spend it on glocks, sell the glocks here, then buy a $1200 AR and put $1200 back in your pocket. :)
---
Get a colt

What are you looking to do with the rifle? Are we just talking your basic combat/defensive rifle? If that is the case then yes I would look at DD, Colt, BCM. I just finished a BCM build with their colt hammer forged barrel and am quite impress with what it will do with just surplus M855, need to pick up some match ammo and see just what it will do. However, I built mine as a DM rifle and it is not done, just set up to where it can be shot while I decide on what rail I want on the rifle. As far as cost, your basic Colt can be picked up new for around a grand, have recently gone up a little where I would have been buying them, my BCM at the moment as it is set up cost me a little more then a grand with complete RRA lower, Magpul ACS stock, Miad grip, BUIS, handguards, ASAP, ect, ect. Not a bad overall cost considering it does have a cold hammer forged barrel. If you went with the standard BCM upper, standard charging handle, and an MOE stock you can knock off almost $175 for a complete rifle. Even more if you went with a different/cheaper lower, though a complete RRA lower without stock for $200 is still hard to beat.

What are you looking to do with the rifle? Are we just talking your basic combat/defensive rifle? If that is the case then yes I would look at DD, Colt, BCM. I just finished a BCM build with their colt hammer forged barrel and am quite impress with what it will do with just surplus M855, need to pick up some match ammo and see just what it will do. However, I built mine as a DM rifle and it is not done, just set up to where it can be shot while I decide on what rail I want on the rifle. As far as cost, your basic Colt can be picked up new for around a grand, have recently gone up a little where I would have been buying them, my BCM at the moment as it is set up cost me a little more then a grand with complete RRA lower, Magpul ACS stock, Miad grip, BUIS, handguards, ASAP, ect, ect. Not a bad overall cost considering it does have a cold hammer forged barrel. If you went with the standard BCM upper, standard charging handle, and an MOE stock you can knock off almost $175 for a complete rifle. Even more if you went with a different/cheaper lower, though a complete RRA lower without stock for $200 is still hard to beat.

Target shooting, varmits (coyotes, hogs) and I have wanted one awhile. Fueling the obsession.

I will catch flack here I guess, but I love the look of the bull barrel rifles offered in the AR type platform. I am not looking for tons of accessories, lights, lasers, etc. Just not for me. I think they are cool and all, just I do not need anything like that.

Mostly target shooting. Maybe 500-1000 rounds per year (if that) at my small range at my place.

Bull barrels are good for target, but think about the weight if you want to take it hunting. A good 20"-18" SPR would be great for what you want. Medium weight so still portable and still very accurate
SPR

Target shooting, varmits (coyotes, hogs) and I have wanted one awhile. Fueling the obsession.

I will catch flack here I guess, but I love the look of the bull barrel rifles offered in the AR type platform. I am not looking for tons of accessories, lights, lasers, etc. Just not for me. I think they are cool and all, just I do not need anything like that.

Mostly target shooting. Maybe 500-1000 rounds per year (if that) at my small range at my place.

How handy are you with tools? You might think about getting a lower and putting the stock, grip and trigger you want in it, then finding a complete upper you like. Best shooting barrel I ever had was an ASA Stainless HBAR upper. It'd shoot same hole, made a great bench gun but was to heavy to carry.

11572.jpg

and here it is, i saved you 200 for accesories
[url]http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/11572[/URL]

Thanks!!!!

The SPR link makes great sense. I guess the look of the item should not carry as much "weight"....pun intended.

I truly appreciate the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom