• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You will never see in my collection these firearms

I have been selling off any gun that is not designed to hunt animals. So if you want to discuss value, what value are you getting from a gun that is not designed to put food on the table? I know self defense, but I have never personally known anyone who managed to benefit by using a gun against another person. However, I have lost two immediate family members to gunshots. One self inflicted and one not. I have also known many others who accidentally shot themselves or others with their self defense weapon. I have been carrying for most of my life, but after the most recent tragedy my family has suffered, I will never own another gun that isn't designed for hunting food.

I have been selling off any gun that is not designed to hunt animals. So if you want to discuss value, what value are you getting from a gun that is not designed to put food on the table? I know self defense, but I have never personally known anyone who managed to benefit by using a gun against another person. However, I have lost two immediate family members to gunshots. One self inflicted and one not. I have also known many others who accidentally shot themselves or others with their self defense weapon. I have been carrying for most of my life, but after the most recent tragedy my family has suffered, I will never own another gun that isn't designed for hunting food.
Sorry for your loss. If you have lost two different immediate family me members on two different occasions to accidental gunshots, I think you would be best served getting rid of all of your guns for the safety of your remaining family and the public. Guns did not take the lives of your loved ones. People did.

Sorry for your loss. If you have lost two different immediate family me members on two different occasions to accidental gunshots, I think you would be best served getting rid of all of your guns for the safety of your remaining family and the public. Guns did not take the lives of your loved ones. People did.

Yes sir, you are correct. It was not the guns fault. I guess I have decided that the feeling of security that comes with gun ownership is not worth the potential tragedy that can also come with it. At least when it comes to civilian situations. I will always have a deer rifle kept locked away because I love deer meat. But I have come to learn that the old saying is very true, "Live by the sword, die by the sword".

$1500? I guess you missed the part where you can get a Colt for under $900 and a BCM for around $1k. And since you brought up lemons, if these examples were just lemons, I suppose that statistically there would be some examples of these "better" brands malfunctioning here on the ODT, right? Strangely, I can't seem to find any. There are a handful of examples on the Web, but there are 20x as many examples of some bargain brand crapping out. You guys can spew all of the "just as good as" nonsense you want, but it still doesn't make it true.

I think a 600 psa is pretty damn close, but I'm not arguing inherent quality I'm arguing return on investment. Unless you are using then on a day in day out, life depends on it basis, I don't get why it's wrong for someone to go with a more affordable rifle. Is a BCM gonna kill paper any deader than a dpms?

I think a 600 psa is pretty damn close, but I'm not arguing inherent quality I'm arguing return on investment. Unless you are using then on a day in day out, life depends on it basis, I don't get why it's wrong for someone to go with a more affordable rifle. Is a BCM gonna kill paper any deader than a dpms?

You are assuming that the only reason I own a gun is to shoot paper. No, I don't carry one for a living, but pretty much everything I own, outside of my 22lr guns, is designed first and foremost for self defense or hunting. Neither of those cases are very forgiving of an unreliable weapon. And I stated earlier that PSA is an exception to the rule, as long as you pay attention to what you're ordering from them. Their premium uppers, hammer forged uppers and premium milspec BCGs are acceptable. The only difference between them and some of the more highly respected brands is the level of QC, which is part of the reason they can be had for less money. Even then, their top end parts are made of better materials than most commercial guns. If my options were PSA vs bushmaster, dpms, RRA, cmmg, dti, etc, I'd take PSA every time.

You are assuming that the only reason I own a gun is to shoot paper. No, I don't carry one for a living, but pretty much everything I own, outside of my 22lr guns, is designed first and foremost for self defense or hunting. Neither of those cases are very forgiving of an unreliable weapon. And I stated earlier that PSA is an exception to the rule, as long as you pay attention to what you're ordering from them. Their premium uppers, hammer forged uppers and premium milspec BCGs are acceptable. The only difference between them and some of the more highly respected brands is the level of QC, which is part of the reason they can be had for less money. Even then, their top end parts are made of better materials than most commercial guns. If my options were PSA vs bushmaster, dpms, RRA, cmmg, dti, etc, I'd take PSA every time.

Why? How do you know any of them have "exceptional QC"? Because they say so? How do you know the other cheaper brands don't have even better and more sophisticated QC? Because someone at DD says so? Other than those trying to push plastic lowers, I don't know of anyone really turning out junk ARs. Also, this great QC some of you don't mind paying for just creates a market for "blems". And people buy these "blems" so they can add value to their builds with brand names rather than looking for quality. I think that's what I'll do if I ever decide to manufacture. I'll create a boutique brand and market it with outrageous claims of QC and reliability...then just make a bunch of rough ones ...no need to pay for real QC...just selling them as "blems" with no warranty...make people sign wavers that they may actually be receiving pure junk....and people will buy them ...for the name...not the QC.

Yeah the BCM might kill paper better. I went to a tactical ar15 course in 2008 and most of the students had Colts. A friend of mine had just purchased a DPMS never fired it. When we attempted to get zeroed in at 50 yards, his rifle was wayyyyy off. 2 instructors who were armorers attempted to get it on target and after multiple magazines of ammo, adjustments to the sights, and 30 solid minutes, they determined that the issue was with the barrel. My friend had to borrow an instructors rifle to complete the course.
Now, did he simply get a dud? I don't know. Maybe. Some people have no issues with their DPMS rifles.
But it certainly steered me away from the brand.

Yeah the BCM might kill paper better. I went to a tactical ar15 course in 2008 and most of the students had Colts. A friend of mine had just purchased a DPMS never fired it. When we attempted to get zeroed in at 50 yards, his rifle was wayyyyy off. 2 instructors who were armorers attempted to get it on target and after multiple magazines of ammo, adjustments to the sights, and 30 solid minutes, they determined that the issue was with the barrel. My friend had to borrow an instructors rifle to complete the course.
Now, did he simply get a dud? I don't know. Maybe. Some people have no issues with their DPMS rifles.
But it certainly steered me away from the brand.

irons or optics?

I have no experience with the brand. I've never even touched a DPMS rifle or component that I can remember.

Back
Top Bottom