• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zero tolerance in Cobb

Not anymore, in ga. You can have a weapon in your car, as long as you're not a student.

Wrong. check out OCGA 16-11-127.1

Any license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who is not a license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony

Keep your weapons out of school zones fellas.

Here is the site for your reading pleasure:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/

I am an SRO, we mainly use this for student carrying knives and guns in school

Last edited:
Uhhh..

b) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone or at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25.

(2) Any license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who is not a license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than two nor more than ten years, or both.

(3) Any person convicted of a violation of this subsection involving a dangerous weapon or machine gun, as such terms are defined in Code Section 16-11-121, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00 or by imprisonment for a period of not less than five nor more than ten years, or both.

(4) A child who violates this subsection may be subject to the provisions of Code Section 15-11-63.

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(1) Baseball bats....;

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

I take my wife to school every week and I carry both on my person and in the car every time I go onto campus. I do NOT exit the vehicle under arms, however.

Any license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Any person who is not a license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

That's pretty embarrassing. I would hope as an SRO you would be aware of the changes in the law the past couple of years.

If the original posting did actually happen, then yes, it is ridiculous. Has anyone done any research to check the validity of the story?
Sadly, there are groups of individuals out there that like to make up stories like this just to keep the pot stirred.

Maybe the cop was a dick and pushed it, maybe it was the circumstance you are saying, we don't know that. But please, feel free to bash the people who would do anything to protect you. How did you so pleasantly put it??

You have already illustrated your lack of knowledge regarding GA carry laws while exhorting your (incorrect) expertise, why am I unsurprised that you are not aware that police have no duty to "protect" outside of a couple extremely obscure exceptions. The supreme court has maintained this position for 30+ years. "Protect and Serve" is a misnomer, any department that uses the phrase is simply misleading their citizens.

Truly, I hope you are a young idealist who is simply ignorant (meant in the true definition of the word, not a negative personal attack, or "anti LEO"... on the contrary) regarding the laws in your jurisdiction and will better educate yourself in the future.

Zero tolerance is absurd and only exists because people, in general, are increasingly incapable of making judgement calls. No one is willing to state the obvious. The kid carrying a tool is different from the kid with a dagger.

Back
Top Bottom