• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

20ga O/U recommendation

If the 4-H youth is shooting more than "modified trap" his dad will more than likely be buying him a new gun next season.
The less expensive o/u simply do not hold up with the higher volume of rounds required to compete in 4-H Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays.

CZ makes a couple of o/u which are in the $800 - $1000 price range. If you are shooting a few hundred rounds a year for hunting or an occasional round of clays these seem to be a good value and have a good warranty.

One of our kids shot a Mossberg Silver Reserve, and shot it very well. He broke it and Mossberg replaced it. He broke the replacement twice and a gunsmith fixed it both times. His dad eventually bought him a Benelli 828. Couldn't shoot it worth a darn (to light maybe?). Traded it for a Browning 725 and finished his 4H career with it (shooting it much better).

Lots of good advise here. The over and under is the less expensive way to go on a double barrel. You can get a 20ga as light as 5-6 lbs range. Just remember the lighter it is the more recoil. However if you're going to do a lot of walking, you'll feel better at the end of the day carrying a lighter weapon. To get a good quality double you're going to likely have to pay a little north of $1000 and up. Pay once, cry once. You buy the right one, you'll likely never regret it and you'll have a good investment

One of our kids shot a Mossberg Silver Reserve, and shot it very well. He broke it and Mossberg replaced it. He broke the replacement twice and a gunsmith fixed it both times. His dad eventually bought him a Benelli 828. Couldn't shoot it worth a darn (to light maybe?). Traded it for a Browning 725 and finished his 4H career with it (shooting it much better).
Unfortunately we see this scenario season after season in 4-H, SCTP and School leagues.

Parents buy the shiny new $400-$500 o/u based on looks and price point. In about 4 to 6 weeks the parents are shopping for a new gun.

Many are difficult to open and close and frequently take both thumbs to disengage the automatic safety. The barrels frequently do not shoot to the same point of impact. The extractors/ejectors often stick and the hull needs to be removed manually. Trigger pull on some models are excessive enough to cause the young athlete to consistently pull the gun off target. They are frequently lighter which causes increased recoil. For a 100 or 200 target event the recoil becomes a factor in performance. It is rare for one of these models to last an entire season without being returned to the manufacturer or sent to a gunsmith for repair.

Spend more and get a better quality firearm.

Wow lots of negative talk about less expensive O/Us. My family owns 3 Yildiz. Two 20s and one 12.. we use them for both dove qnd quail.. made by Yildiz in Turkey.. fine guns. My 20 is 4 years old and been through 4 seasons of shooting doves in south ga. Belong to a dove club there where we pretty much shoot every weekend Sat and Sun. My brother has a 20 he uses mainly for quail. Hunts quite a bit.. of the 3 guns none as in 0 have had any issues at all. The only negative about the guns is they are tight straight from the factory, but loosen up with use. I've patterned mine and the barrels shoot to the same impact.. i highly suggest upgrading to Trulock chokes for the guns. They make 3 styles for the Yildiz and are excellent products.. the guns do come with 5 chokes from the factory..

I've owned many high dollar O/Us and yes the Yildiz does not compare for fit or finish but for a $400 shotgun they are terrific. Limbsaver sells a recoil pad specifically for the guns. Works very well. If warranty worries you, they are serviced by Briley out in Tx.

Back
Top Bottom