• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 Battle Rifle

a typical 308 out of 16" barrel is ~2500fps. the 7.62commie is ~2300fps out of a 16" barrel. If I want a 16" barrel, I'd stick to the commie round. It is much cheaper and uses most of its propellent out of that length barrel. I could never understand why a person would want a full power rifle cartridge and then choose a gun w/a 16" barrel, it is a waste. the 7.62x54r is capable of 2800fps, but never from a 16" barrel. unless you are a reloader and use really fast burning power, that could also result in a big KABOOM!!!

Last edited:
Old news. Faster burn makes higher spikes, which increases pressure. Older guns may not handle pressure, so they won't load it. Answer: change cartridge. Specials vs magnums, 9x19/9x21, etc, etc, etc.

I thought it was common knowledge but you do realize that velocity is GAINED while the powder burns INSIDE the barrel right? a 16" barrel does NOT allow efficient burn, resulting in huge fabulous fireballs. these fireballs are the powder burning OUTSIDE the barrel where it does absolutely NOTHING to help push the cartridge. a 308 is most efficient at between 20-24 inches of barrel. just like a mosin nagant is most efficient at 27-30 inches of barrel. those lengths allow most propellent burn INSIDE the barrel, where it counts.

Supposedly - Faster burning powder will finish the burn inside the barrel of a 16" rifle. After that any added length will not add much velocity.

a typical 308 out of 16" barrel is ~2500fps. the 7.62commie is ~2300fps out of a 16" barrel. If I want a 16" barrel, I'd stick to the commie round. It is much cheaper and uses most of its propellent out of that length barrel. I could never understand why a person would want a full power rifle cartridge and then choose a gun w/a 16" barrel, it is a waste. the 7.62x54r is capable of 2800fps, but never from a 16" barrel.

Plenty of reasons, weight and length savings, different operational needs, availability of ammo or forced use of certain types of ammo, ballistics are still ballistics and regardless what barrel its coming out of the 308 is a better round. And even from a 16" barrel you can still make reliable hits at 600yrds with the 308/7.62x51.

Try that with the x39 and let me know how it goes........not to mention the increased drop you have to factor in. Honestly you cant even compare the two. Youd likely be better comparing x39 to 300BO.

Plenty of reasons...

Also accuracy. A shorter barrel is inherently more stiff, and less likely to affect bullet trajectory with harmonics. Reason #1 most long-range guns use a bull barrel. Has far less to do with heating than harmonics.

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_28_5eruzamu.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_28_urujagus.jpg

Say hello to cupcake.
So far, she really likes Barnes, and Federal GMM, and Black Hills, and Hornady and.......

And now I have enough brass, powder, primers, and projectiles to determine what she really likes.
Don't be scared to look at a DPMS Recon.- not my first choice, but a good weapon.

POF is good stuff for not quite KA prices.

PMAGS are your friend

Oh, and Cupcake is a POF/DPMS mix

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_28_5eruzamu.jpg

img.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_28_urujagus.jpg

Say hello to cupcake.
So far, she really likes Barnes, and Federal GMM, and Black Hills, and Hornady and.......

And now I have enough brass, powder, primers, and projectiles to determine what she really likes.
Don't be scared to look at a DPMS Recon.- not my first choice, but a good weapon.

POF is good stuff for not quite KA prices.

PMAGS are your friend

Oh, and Cupcake is a POF/DPMS mix

Honestly not really an AR fan, but this one...WOW.

How much is a Century L1A1 in a thumbhole stock that has been cut open with two metric mags and pouch worth? Has folding cocking handle and no brake or threads, only key way on end of barrel---$650.00?

Back
Top Bottom