• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 Battle Rifle

holy crap on a cracker--tell me how you really feel..LOL..post what you find out

Market share data not released to nonshareholders.

I guess i should also state it shares alot with the browning bar.......and doesnt look as good doing it. Ok ok on the plus side it is an accurate rifle but for a company thats been doing it for 100 yrs or so it should be. Its just not fantastic.

I thought it was common knowledge but you do realize that velocity is GAINED while the powder burns INSIDE the barrel right? a 16" barrel does NOT allow efficient burn, resulting in huge fabulous fireballs. these fireballs are the powder burning OUTSIDE the barrel where it does absolutely NOTHING to help push the cartridge. a 308 is most efficient at between 20-24 inches of barrel. just like a mosin nagant is most efficient at 27-30 inches of barrel. those lengths allow most propellent burn INSIDE the barrel, where it counts.

Wasn't arguing about difference in barrels and velocities but rather that a 762x51 is comparable to a 762x39 from a 16" barrel. I've seen bullet trajectory charts for both and those would lead me to believe that they're not even in the same ballpark.

ya its not the most prettest thing in town is it

Far from it, its a hunting semi from the start. You can take a bar, fnar, woodsmaster, or model100 and put a pistol grip on it but it was always a hunting rifle at heart. It just look amazing in the match rifle stock, a much better marriage.

Wasn't arguing about difference in barrels and velocities but rather that a 762x51 is comparable to a 762x39 from a 16" barrel. I've seen bullet trajectory charts for both and those would lead me to believe that they're not even in the same ballpark.

7.62x39 runs around 2300fps and 1600ft.lbs. energy, while the 7.62x51 is up around 2700-2800fps and 2500ft.lbs energy. Higher velocity always, more energy always, flatter trajectory always, more accurate in all ways. It doesnt matter what barrel its coming out of....advantage is advantage. Im not saying x51 is the best ever but There is no comparing the two. They are designed with differing purposes. Youd do better to compare the x54 to the x51

I like the ballistics of .270 personally but havent owned one in awhile, its a fairly balanced round with good ballistics. But thats neither here or there.

You aren't willing to drop a grand on something that might help you keep your family alive?

A 20" 308 AK doesn't scream "home defense" to me.

And I already did that. Bought two glocks and an 870.

Last edited:
Without reading all 8pages of other people's post, you must first sit down and think about these questions, which will help you make a decision

1. Price point.
This will often weed out alot of contenders. Can you spend $1k for a good rifle or do you have the $2500 lying around for a
Socom, AR10 etc ?

2. How often will you shoot it ?
If you dont train with it and only take it out for "fun" once every 6mos, will the price point be worth it ?. Can you afford
to have a $2k "safe queen" or would a $800 "work horse" be more inline if you dont shoot it.

3. Operational Cost.
Ammo for the .308 is costly, so most do not use it for more than "sighting" in at various distances, then put it away or take
hunting. If you purchase a SCAR, if something breaks, whats the cost of fixing it, or are there parts available. Most people
found out after the "ban scare" that if their AR's broke a part, they could not find parts for it, or atleast reasonable prices.
A CETME has many vairations, but is safe to shoot the NATO and Winchester .308 round through and parts are cheap and abundant, so it could be easier to stock up on a several parts that could fail for next to nothing

Ask yourself these questions, everyone has an opinion on what "they" like
, I have used an FN FAL in theater, I did like it, but it was a heavy beast.
The AR10 is heavy also, but if your used to the AR platform, the functionality is basically the same
CETME is a cheap and reliable firearm, it has its issues (spacing) but a quick trip the the gun doc will fix those
SOCOM is a badassry gun, expensive and parts are expensive, but, none the less, a great gun
PT91, cheap and reliable, it is a beast but handles the .308 very well
Saiga, if you are familiar with the AK platform, there you go, less than $900 and you have a reliable .308

The one thing you don't go into much here is the inherent accuracy of the platform. Why get a 308 if you can't take advantage of it's long range capability because the platform you are shooting it from is not accurate? The only weapons you list that have the accuracy to shoot precisely at long rang are the AR10 (which, BTW, S&W is now building at 8.5lb) and maybe the SOCOM...maybe.

Back
Top Bottom