• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 Battle Rifle

Century in that shape is about spot on. See if you can shoot it prior to purchase, some of those do not run that well. Sure it is a L1 or an R1?

Century L1A1. You used to could say, "Honey, I'm going to Roses and get a .308 battle rifle. Do you want anything?" Yes, they sold these there.

Without reading all 8pages of other people's post, you must first sit down and think about these questions, which will help you make a decision

1. Price point.
This will often weed out alot of contenders. Can you spend $1k for a good rifle or do you have the $2500 lying around for a
Socom, AR10 etc ?

2. How often will you shoot it ?
If you dont train with it and only take it out for "fun" once every 6mos, will the price point be worth it ?. Can you afford
to have a $2k "safe queen" or would a $800 "work horse" be more inline if you dont shoot it.

3. Operational Cost.
Ammo for the .308 is costly, so most do not use it for more than "sighting" in at various distances, then put it away or take
hunting. If you purchase a SCAR, if something breaks, whats the cost of fixing it, or are there parts available. Most people
found out after the "ban scare" that if their AR's broke a part, they could not find parts for it, or atleast reasonable prices.
A CETME has many vairations, but is safe to shoot the NATO and Winchester .308 round through and parts are cheap and abundant, so it could be easier to stock up on a several parts that could fail for next to nothing

Ask yourself these questions, everyone has an opinion on what "they" like
, I have used an FN FAL in theater, I did like it, but it was a heavy beast.
The AR10 is heavy also, but if your used to the AR platform, the functionality is basically the same
CETME is a cheap and reliable firearm, it has its issues (spacing) but a quick trip the the gun doc will fix those
SOCOM is a badassry gun, expensive and parts are expensive, but, none the less, a great gun
PT91, cheap and reliable, it is a beast but handles the .308 very well
Saiga, if you are familiar with the AK platform, there you go, less than $900 and you have a reliable .308

How much is a Century L1A1 in a thumbhole stock that has been cut open with two metric mags and pouch worth? Has folding cocking handle and no brake or threads, only key way on end of barrel---$650.00?

Thats an accurate price for one. To fix and make compliant with us made wood furniture would cost another $500 easy maybe $300 with plaskic furniture

pix349923262.jpgAnyone ever check out the FNAR .308 almost bought one last week..Winchester had one built for them with out the flutted barrel

Last edited:
The fnar is cute......for the european market that can no longer buy correctly configured firearms.

For the us market it holds no real favor, im not even remotely interested in one and i love these caliber rifles, its a waste of time and the out of the box expense for it and accessories is rediculous. Id doubt that rifle owns .05% of the rifle sales market.....but ill go find out now

Back
Top Bottom