• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

4473 question with background check

Asked my manager,
As long as the manufacturers sent the same gun (serial number) back and you personally pick up the gun, you should NOT have to complete a second form.
The gunsmithing rules do not apply.

Ken, thanks for that! I wondered if it was a serial number issue.

Ken Ford is correct. If you send a gun out for repair, when it comes back, the FFL dealer should verify that the gun they sent off to the manufacturer is the same as they just received in. After the gun is checked back in, the dealer has on file where they received it from, they can match that information to the person coming to receive their gun. If the names match, they should just hand it to you. If you send someone else to retrieve it for you, they have to fill one out to verify they are legally capable to possess a firearm. They answer the yes or no questions differently!

ok
here goes
you buy a weapon from a gun dealer(name brand authorized dealer).
fill out 4473 do nics check.
take weapon home,upon inspection of weapon you find a manufacturer defect.
you return weapon to authorized dealer so it can be sent back to be repaired.
when you go to pick up your weapon do you have to repeat the 4473/ background check process to pick up your weapon that you already paid for?
i thought repair work did not need to be processed again.
thanks
fz1boxer

Was it returned to the same dealer you purchased it from?

From my understanding,anytime an ffl dealer sends and receives a gun for a customer, paper work has to be filled out when you receive it back. Kinda dumb, but that's what i've been told by several different gun stores.

They should not have made you complete any additional paperwork. Maybe the person wasn't 100% sure and wanted to make sure all I's were dotted and T's were crossed.

Back
Top Bottom