• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

6.5 CM Bolt Gun Opinions

Get a switch barrel/multi-cal system on a custom gun, one platform that can be swapped around. I did that several years ago and haven't looked back. Pre-fit barrels are the way of the future and available now.

That’s an awesome idea. I read about them all the time, but never considered one myself. I’m pretty sure I’ll go that route. Thanks for the advice.

Depending on your budget, there are a variety of options.

The Impacts are probably nicest for a custom build. I've got a couple Bighorn TL3s as well, the bolt-heads are cheaper to swap between 223, 308 and short mag bolts if you switch around a lot like I do. Finally if you want to really spoil yourself there are the Accuracy Internationals, the original pre-fit precision rifles. I've got an AX myself, but the ATs can be had at a nice price new.

Depending on your budget, there are a variety of options.

The Impacts are probably nicest for a custom build. I've got a couple Bighorn TL3s as well, the bolt-heads are cheaper to swap between 223, 308 and short mag bolts if you switch around a lot like I do. Finally if you want to really spoil yourself there are the Accuracy Internationals, the original pre-fit precision rifles. I've got an AX myself, but the ATs can be had at a nice price new.

Believe it or not my LGS sells AIs, GAP, Bergara, etc. I may pay them and visit and see what they can do for me for an AI. He has a ton of barrels available too. All lining the wall.

You can swap barrels easy on a Savage too if you want to stay budget. I have two AO customs but I shoot the Savage 223 that I built myself more than any of them. Most of the time I am limited to 500 yards and 223 75-80s are great to 500 (and farther - just hard to see impacts).

With the Savage, all you need is a set of go-no go gauges and a barrel wrench for the savage nut. You could also do the same thing using a remington action using a remage barrel nut. I have a 458 socom bolt gun I built that way.

Back
Top Bottom