• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Modest Proposal: A Truck Gun May Be Unrealistic

You're MUCH more likely to be shot with your own truck gun than to be in a SHTF situation where you need your truck gun. People steal and use firearms that were left in vehicles EVERY DAY. When is the last SHTF situation you've seen locally?

I don't want to interrupt a crook breaking into my truck only to have him blast me with my own truck gun.

Theft of guns left in vehicles are one of the best ways for criminals to arms themselves.

I'll go with the overwhelming odds on this topic.

But I understand why you would disagree.
zcognitive_dissonance.jpg

You're MUCH more likely to be shot with your own truck gun than to be in a SHTF situation where you need your truck gun. People steal and use firearms that were left in vehicles EVERY DAY. When is the last SHTF situation you've seen locally?

I don't want to interrupt a crook breaking into my truck only to have him blast me with my own truck gun.

Theft of guns left in vehicles are one of the best ways for criminals to arms themselves.

I'll go with the overwhelming odds on this topic.

But I understand why you would disagree.
View attachment 2519824
And, after a preponderance of the evidence, you decide not to carry a firearm in your vehicle, that's fine. The problem for me comes when people decide to hold the victim of an illegal act responsible and shove their beliefs down onto other law-abiding citizens.

Just like how we hear and are told "You don't need a gun. You don't need an assault rifle." If they don't want one, that's fine. Don't own one. But when they try to shove their anti-gun BS down the throats of everyone else, I take issue.

Own a gun. Don't own a gun. Your choice.
Own an "assault rifle." Don't own an "assault rifle." Your choice.
Carry a gun on your person. Don't carry a gun on your person. Your choice.
Carry with a round in the chamber or don't carry with a round in the chamber. Your choice.

Ok, here's a question.

I enjoy these threads. And just thought of this question. Or, should say, series of questions.

For those that keep firearms unsecured in your vehicle - do you just keep them on top of the dash? Easy enough to grab if needed quickly, right? May have to secure it somehow when driving though, so it doesn't slide around.

Wait - you mean you don't keep your loaded handgun on top of your dash? Why not????

Or if you carry a long gun - do you carry your AR in a rifle rack in your pickup's back window?

No?

Why the heck not?

Or how about cash? Do you leave large amounts of cash lying on your seat or your dash?

No?

Why not?
There is a very big difference between brandishing your cash or firearm and having one. No one here is advocating for such things.

Regardless, I do believe that you should be able to put your rifle on a rack in the rear window of your truck. Do I recommend it? Of course not, but you should be able to do so if you so choose.

Theft of guns left in vehicles are one of the best ways for criminals to arms themselves......

In that case we should push for legislation that makes it a felony for cops to have guns in their vehicles. Everyone (including criminals) knows cops have guns in their cars.

In that case we should push for legislation that makes it a felony for cops to have guns in their vehicles. Everyone (including criminals) knows cops have guns in their cars.
You know what would solve all of our problems? Make it illegal to use firearms during the commencement of a felony. We need to make murder illegal. And we need to make theft illegal.

its not an issue if you take the time to secure it

if you have no safe box; remove mag, cable lock thru barrel and tether it to a bar under your seat

How is that any different from locking it in the truck ?
You are just adding multiple layers of defeatable security.
That wouldn't stop me. Ive got a truck box full of tools including a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel.
You want to see your seat laying in the parking lot beside your truck ?

How is that any different from locking it in the truck ?
You are just adding multiple layers of defeatable security.
That wouldn't stop me. Ive got a truck box full of tools including a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel.
You want to see your seat laying in the parking lot beside your truck ?

You leave a cordless grinder in your truck?! What if a criminal got a hold of that, he could cut through a safe in the next house he breaks into, sheesh!

You leave a cordless grinder in your truck?! What if a criminal got a hold of that, he could cut through a safe in the next house he breaks into, sheesh!
Or straight through a super duper double naught secure cable lock running through your gun! What the hell you douchebag gun owners!?! I mean....tool owners!

The question was asked above, but no one answered it.

For folks that are against leaving an unattended firearm in your vehicle. You are going to a location or venue that prohibits the carry of firearms, and has the the security to enforce it. Think of something like The Fox or the Georgia Aquarium; magnetometers, handheld wands, and hand searches, backed up by uniformed police. You have roughly an hour drive to get there, an hour to get back to your regular stomping grounds, and you’ll be stopping to eat dinner in between.

Do you go unarmed the entire evening away from home......approximately 6 hours that includes quite a bit of time in downtown Atlanta? Instead, do you take a firearm and leave it in your vehicle while you’re inside the “gun free” venue, so that you can be armed the rest of the evening? If so, how do you reconcile your beliefs?

It’s an honest question, I’m not trying to poke at anyone, I’d like it answered. I know the answer, I’ve had this conversation in person with many of my students, and have heard several different justifications/answers. Curious what the folks here say.

Man we have been down this road a number of times in many threads

Some forks on here want to say if your firearm is stolen that it is your fault because it was not secured to their standards and that make U irresponsible.

Then there are those of us who believe that the fault lies with the criminal.

There are also those that think that unless you can grab it faster than your pistol and have it on you 24x7 there is no scenario possible that it could be useful.

Then there are those of us who see a gun as a tool and can think outside the box and picture a scenario where it could be useful in addition to, or sometimes instead of, a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom