• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Modest Proposal: A Truck Gun May Be Unrealistic

The only truck gun I keep is in the small of my back. It goes and comes as I do. When I sit in the seat it comes out and lays within easy reach. I know, I know... in an accident that piece of steel could fly who knows where and do damage... I’ll take that chance. The chance I don’t take is leaving a gun in the truck at night. I leave my truck unlocked because I don’t want broken windows. Steal my tools or what ever else is there and I’ll just make a theft report...don’t damage my truck. I don’t judge anyone for their carry practice because too each their own. If I have to leave my CC in my truck to enter a place where I can’t carry then my truck is locked and that’s when “I” take the chance of it being stolen. I drop it in the console cocked and locked so that when I do retrieve it, it’s ready. It’s of no use to me otherwise cause I ain’t good at chunking things at people. I keep weapons all over my home in different places... it makes me feel better. If my home is broken into and they’re stolen I’ll replace them as soon as possible. If it makes me a criminal for my way of securing my weapons so be it.

The question was asked above, but no one answered it.

For folks that are against leaving an unattended firearm in your vehicle. You are going to a location or venue that prohibits the carry of firearms, and has the the security to enforce it. Think of something like The Fox or the Georgia Aquarium; magnetometers, handheld wands, and hand searches, backed up by uniformed police. You have roughly an hour drive to get there, an hour to get back to your regular stomping grounds, and you’ll be stopping to eat dinner in between.

Do you go unarmed the entire evening away from home......approximately 6 hours that includes quite a bit of time in downtown Atlanta? Instead, do you take a firearm and leave it in your vehicle while you’re inside the “gun free” venue, so that you can be armed the rest of the evening? If so, how do you reconcile your beliefs?

It’s an honest question, I’m not trying to poke at anyone, I’d like it answered. I know the answer, I’ve had this conversation in person with many of my students, and have heard several different justifications/answers. Curious what the folks here say.
Stop arming criminals and killing babies and children with your guns

How is that any different from locking it in the truck ?
You are just adding multiple layers of defeatable security.
That wouldn't stop me. Ive got a truck box full of tools including a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel.
You want to see your seat laying in the parking lot beside your truck ?

This is a point that I made earlier. YOU are not a person that routinely engages in B&E in autos, and thieves that do so don’t drive around with your selection of tools and equipment in their vehicles. This is akin to stating why lock your vehicle when the police can unlock it and steal, or if they can’t get it unlocked, the fire department can come over and use the Jaws of Life to rip your door off.

Back
Top Bottom