• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Alcoholism what to do?

Never understood substance abuse. But like all of us I see it first hand. Most are functional alcoholics but the unnecessary grief their families endure is heartbreaking. I probably am not as sympathetic as I should be but I have little tolerance for an addict, same as I have little tolerance for anyone that refuses to help themselves. Declaring it a "disease" simply gives addicts another excuse. Do most need help? Absolutely. But there's a difference between needing help and being helpless. You are not helpless. Get off your ass, get cleaned up, and enjoy the gift you've been given. I remember in college, I was drinking way too much. It just hit me one weekday morning, fighting hangover number God knows, "This is how it happens. Gradually." I immediately backed WAY off. I felt no need to further test my "strength". I will occasionally have social drinks but if I never have another drop of alcohol in my life, it wouldn't phase me one bit.
If you are addicted to anything, it is coming at the expense of other things. Most infinitely more valuable. Whether you admit it or not.
Get the help you need, now!

I have friend of 22 years who’s an alcoholic. Like has hit rock bottom and is still falling. How do you get them help? I tried calling AA and talking him into going to a doctor or shrink. But no luck. I only asked advice here because friends and family’s advice isn’t working, and he won’t listen to me. You can PM me. Thanks.
the problem with alcoholism is it's "bottom" changes from one person to the next. Your friend may hit jails, hospitals, rehabs, mental institutions or even death bed before his bottom is reached. Family or friend interventions very seldom work. I buried my father and my brother to this affliction of denial. Just tell him you will be there if he gets ready before his funeral.

Yep, my friend Went to jail for stealing 10 years ago but he said that wasn't due to alcohol use but if he stole because he was desperate for money...

... because he lost his job due to constant drinking and calling in sick and leaving early to go suck down a dozen beers ....

I'd say his alcoholism is very much related to going to jail.

And since then he's never had a job --at least not one he's kept more than a few weeks.

He got divorced, his kids have shut off all contact with him (they're teenagers or in their 20s now)...

... he's broke, homeless, on food stamps, living in his car and/or sleeping in a storage unit....

Ashamed to talk to some of his old friends (the ones that he hasn't already asked for money) because for some of his friends he doesn't want them to know about his current situation....

Except for still having an automobile to drive, thanks to faking an injury and pulling an insurance scam, I'd say he's pretty much hit rock bottom and been there for several years!

Yet he still in in denial about his problem and he still says that there's nothing he or anybody else can do about it.

He says God must want this lifestyle for him because God isn't whipping up a miracle to zap him into better circumstances of life.

Sorry to hear. Its like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I have seen many. I like alcohol but choose to almost never drink. I lost someone very close. Seems that not everyone has a rock bottom. I hope that they see the light before someone loses a life. I normally distance myself, no matter how hard.

He got divorced, his kids have shut off all contact with him (they're teenagers or in their 20s now)...

... he's broke, homeless, on food stamps, living in his car and/or sleeping in a storage unit....

He says God must want this lifestyle for him because God isn't whipping up a miracle to zap him into better circumstances of life.
winner winner, chicken dinner.
I’ve known countless alcoholics in my years on this earth, and that is the best, most unique rationalization I’ve ever heard.

I suspect He may be at the subconscious level sabotaging his own life so that he is making himself miserable in his old age as a way of acknowledging his sinful life of drugs, whores, constant partying, street fighting & gang activity in his younger days, and then cheating people at work for most of his career, while maintain a drug-friendly and prostitute-friendly lifestyle of a hedonist swinger.

I trying to tell him that he can't punish himself enough to atone for his sins in God's eyes. It takes God's mercy and Jesus's sacrifice. Nothing he can do, nothing any mortal man can do or ever has done, can reconcile a sinner with the Lord.

Back
Top Bottom