• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else “Down Size”

Just keep in mind that, this is a good season for "Selling the house"... BUT not so good to "Buy a House" - Maybe, just maybe, would be less expensive if you get/buy the land and then build a small house on it. After moving in, sale the other one!!
We have a contract as of today. For the purchase, but not yet for the sale.

Went from 2800sq ft in a subdivision to 1300 sq ft on 10 acres about 5 years ago. Had two kids since, now raise our own beef, lamb, eggs, etc. 100% would do it again. Our biggest issue has been having space for quests but I’m in the process of converting our garage into and office and spare bedroom and all will be well.

Yeah dropped 1200 sq foot of home space, but added a 20x30 workshop and about to build another workshop. Much prefer the work space, but I have a lot of equipment. We did however leave an unfinished area in the house in case we decided to build out some more space, but I do prefer the smaller home.

Reactions: GFB
We moved from 3000 to 6000 sq ft total. We lived in our old home for 35+ yrs. We inherited about 50% more stuff from my wife's parents. I think when we get finished sorting things, we'll have just enough space. The only extra upkeep is the larger lot. The house is four sides brick, so less upkeep there. I have to take my phone with me when I'm off the main floor, otherwise my wife and I might not communicate

Wasn’t technically a downsize but we did reduce our “stuff” significantly. Moved from a two story 2400sq ft suburban swim tennis HOA neighborhood to a rural 1400sq ft ranch on a full finished basement (also 1400sq ft) in the boondocks with 4x the land surrounded by lakeside retirees, farmers and meth heads…but no lawn to mow, no HOA…just trees.

We have an in-law suite in the basement for our aging parents when needed.

It’s quiet and relaxed. I only hate having to drive down to the “big city” for ODT trades meets. We’re a geographical oddity whereas we’re 30 minutes from anywhere and an hour from everywhere else.

I guess I’m lucky. I have 5200 square foot , 3 level house. 3100 square foot air conditioned shop with 12 foot ceiling , used to be my cabinet shop . 720 square foot garage . 900 square foot 4 stall horse barn . All on 8 acres in West Cobb . Been here almost 25 years . I’ve put a lot of work in here . Retired. 73 now so about 5 years be looking to sell and move . When I sell it should be a big payout .

I guess I’m lucky. I have 5200 square foot , 3 level house. 3100 square foot air conditioned shop with 12 foot ceiling , used to be my cabinet shop . 720 square foot garage . 900 square foot 4 stall horse barn . All on 8 acres in West Cobb . Been here almost 25 years . I’ve put a lot of work in here . Retired. 73 now so about 5 years be looking to sell and move . When I sell it should be a big payout .
Dad!!!......

Gonna list mine, 3/2 with a very large shop. .89 of what was a secluded hideaway in Lavonia Ga…
Nice. I sold a 3200 sg ft house with inlaw suite and 30x30 shop before buying my last house.
I am old now and have to plan how I am going to get up if I need to get down on a floor. No longer need a shop, just a garage for my car. Have a lot of joint problems now.

Nice. I sold a 3200 sg ft house with inlaw suite and 30x30 shop before buying my last house.
I am old now and have to plan how I am going to get up if I need to get down on a floor. No longer need a shop, just a garage for my car. Have a lot of joint problems now.
My Wife has an electric chair to go up and down the stairs with.....

Back
Top Bottom