arizona conceal carry permit updated with new details

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
i am going to travel to ohio and found out my ccw for georgia is not accepted there and my brother place is not exactly the most "safe and crime free" last time i was there i was asked by a guy if i wanted to come and do drugs with him, and in ohio i could not even carry a gun in the glove box without a permit

georgia conceal carry permit does not allow all state within the united states so if you plan to travel through any state that is not in the following list or carry a gun in them i found the arizona concealed weapons permit was easier to get compared to the other 2-3 states that issue to non-residents as well as open more states and was valid in more of the states that georgia permit is not valid in the non-coastal states (it still doesn't include illinois but no states is accepted by them

step 1: call 602-256-6280 request application packet for arizona concealed weapons permit

step 2: when it arrives find a location to have your fingerprints taken and have the two cards filled out by the person who does that, i had to use the forsyth police department do mine $20

step 3: an 8 housr nra course or hunter safety course, any 8 hour nra course will do (i did a basic pistol course) i paid $125 , cost varies form instructor to instructor and course to course

step 3: fill out application, it is your basic conceal permit application, asking if you are felon or whatever

step 3: make photocopy of nra completion certificate/hunter safety course, one valid id (drivers license and birth certificate i used)

step 4: buy a $60 money order or cashiers check (amount arizona permit costs)

step 5: enclose application, 2 fingerprint cards, copy of identification and nra completion certificate/ hunter safety course, and the $60 money order in the large envelope they provide that is already addressed to them and mail it out

step 6: wait two months until it arrives in mail

it takes two months after you mail the application back to them to get it in the mail and one week for the application they mail to you to arrive, i would tell you that so you can plan ahead of your trip

georgia Permit Honored in:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin, Wyoming

updated 7/5/2012:current valid places of carry with both georgia and arizona permit
Permit Honored:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Permit Not Honored:
California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Washington, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia,Illinois, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

example of permit: View attachment 105400

knowing what i found put about ohio, i am glad i live in georgia instead. i don't like to give up my rights

update: arizona added a stipulation in the agreement with ohio, that ohio will not honor arizona non-resident permits in ohio, so you need both a arizona permit and arizona resident carry permit for ohio to honor the arizona permit

arizona is the only state ohio has this detail in the agreement for to my knowledge, the two states are currently working on changing wording according to sources

Last edited:
it was actually easy to do once you get the phone numbers and addresses for things like fingerprinting

Last edited:
A Weapons License is different than a driver's license in that not all states honor an out of state Weapons License, although some do. While many feel this is a violation of both the Privileges and Immunities Clause and the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution, it is, nonetheless, the state of affairs as it currently exists. Georgia currently has reciprocal agreements with 23 other states allowing citizens of either state to carry in the other state. The States of Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona allow concealed carry of firearms without a License, so Georgia residents may also carry firearms there.
Understanding Non-Resident Weapons Licenses - Examiner.com

good information HeadHunter thanks for elaborating on that topic

colorado, florida, michigan, new hampshire, and south carolina only honor permits from residents of issuing state
these states (except for south carolina) accept georgia permit so it should not be a problem with the non-resident permit.

Last edited:
good information HeadHunter thanks for elaborating on that topic

colorado, florida, michigan, new hampshire, and south carolina only honor permits from residents of issuing state
these states accept georgia permit so it should not be a problem with the non-resident permit.

South Carolina does not reciprocate with Georgia.

My first CCW permit was in Oklahoma back in the mid 90's. Right after it expired, I moved to Ohio where I obtained an Ohio CCW. Now since moving to Georgia and having a GWL, I travel monthly to Ohio where I can no longer carry... (kind of ridiculous if you ask me), so I'm in the process of obtaining my Florida CCW. I'm using the same NRA state certified 16 hr course that I needed for Oklahoma to use to obtain my Florida license.

I have worked as a traveling contractor for almost 20 years. I travel nationwide. I did at one time have a permit from GA but it expired about 10 years ago so I no longer have one. I carry everywhere I go, every state that I go. If I leave the state of Georgia, I will have the pistol in plain site (not concealed), I have the magazine in the pocket of the drivers side door where it would take me at least 4 movements to load and fire it. If I am pulled over and law enforcement asks me "is there a weapon in the vehicle", I immediately place both hands on the top of the steering wheel and tell them yes there is, I tell them exactly where it is, I tell them that I travel for my work and I have it for personal protection. I tell them it is not loaded and it will take at least 4 movements for me to even fire it. I tell them it would be my last resort to protect myself. They will usually remove it from the vehicle for their protection and run the serial numbers to verify that I am the owner , that it is not stolen and politely give it back to me. I have done this on a few ocassions over the years without being drawn down on, without being dragged out of the truck or taken to jail etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom