• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF guidelines to buying and trading Firearms

Because they were bought with the sole
Purpose of resale for profit. At least that was the context.

Point is NOTHING has changed. He only said enforce existing laws.

The Atlanta BATF office has run stings at local funshows for years. There were 2 scams they were running. One would have an agent dressed as a gangbanger run around the show trying to buy a gun and telling the seller (walking the guns around, not table sellers) he needed to buy a gun but couldn't get one from a dealer. If you sold one to this guy, guilty of selling to an ineligible buyer.

The other scheme was where they worked in pairs targeting non dealer tables. First guy would come by and sell a gun cheap. Later the other came by the table and offered to buy the gun if he saw ir, would even say he was looking for that model gun if not out.

When the non dealer made the sale of th gun he just bought, bam, arrested for selling without dealer license, as he obviously bought the gun for resale. (this is the "as few as one or two sales" for arrest)

I have seen both of these traps run at several Ga gunshows, and was even able to recognize the agents on sight for several years. I don't know who the current agents are now.

The other scheme was where they worked in pairs targeting non dealer tables. First guy would come by and sell a gun cheap. Later the other came by the table and offered to buy the gun if he saw ir, would even say he was looking for that model gun if not out.
WOW, that is just bull****. Everything I own (with the exception of heirlooms and my dogs) is for sale for the right price. Doesn't matter if I bought it 5 minutes ago or 5 years ago! And it doesn't mean I bought it for resale either. Have these guys never heard of buyer's remorse?

WOW, that is just bull****. Everything I own (with the exception of heirlooms and my dogs) is for sale for the right price. Doesn't matter if I bought it 5 minutes ago or 5 years ago! And it doesn't mean I bought it for resale either. Have these guys never heard of buyer's remorse?

They know if they sell a WWII 1911 (grandpa's gun) to you for cheap, the urge to flip it quick is just too much to resist.

My point is that the length of time between buying and selling is not proof of my intentions at the point of the initial purchase.

Agree. But it is enough to file charges against you. 10 grand won't touch your lawyer fees to beat it, so they know they can bully you into a plea deal.

Don't you feel safer already knowing your gov't is watching over you?

Back
Top Bottom