• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF new “rule” for no firearm Transaction without background check

cool.. being a dealer you have any info? is it one gun a day, one gun a year, 3 half guns a decade, thinking about 1 gun on a Tuesday?? problem is it does not say. do we need to record with proof how much we paid and how much loss we took? if i buy a gun for 50 bucks, shoot it for 5 years, the sell it for $51 am i a dealer? whats a collection, who is a hobbyist?
we need to know what it is...
they pretty much just said its a federal felony to speed on hwy 42 near McDonough... but we are not setting the speed limit...
good luck....
I have no inside information but I read as much of the actual rule as I could and didn't listen to any idiots on youtube spouting their BS. As far as I can tell nothing has really changed much. I don't believe anything in this new rule is aimed at the average guy just buying or selling a gun on occasion. I believe it is more aimed at people who are buying a quantity of guns for the sole purpose of flipping them. There is no number of guns allowed or disallowed to sell. If you buy one gun or 20 with the sole intent of selling for profit, by law you are a dealer and it has been that way since 1968 as far as I know. If you have a collection of 200 guns and decide to liquidate your collection all in a few days then you are perfectly legal in doing that. Same as it has been since 1968.

I have no inside information but I read as much of the actual rule as I could and didn't listen to any idiots on youtube spouting their BS. As far as I can tell nothing has really changed much. I don't believe anything in this new rule is aimed at the average guy just buying or selling a gun on occasion. I believe it is more aimed at people who are buying a quantity of guns for the sole purpose of flipping them. There is no number of guns allowed or disallowed to sell. If you buy one gun or 20 with the sole intent of selling for profit, by law you are a dealer and it has been that way since 1968 as far as I know. If you have a collection of 200 guns and decide to liquidate your collection all in a few days then you are perfectly legal in doing that. Same as it has been since 1968.

Thanks man, there’s so much noise and speculation on this. It’s great to read a logical summary

Thanks man, there’s so much noise and speculation on this. It’s great to read a logical summary
One problem in my opinion is, youtube talking heads want to keep their channels monetized. They do so by firing up their watchers with no regard for whether or not what they are saying is true or just speculation. I have noticed this for several years now. There are very few that I will even watch any more because most of them are full of chit.
Add to that the left wing media making up headlines about shutting down "Gun Show Loopholes" and other idiocy that is never mentioned in 400+ pages of the rule. The media is not our friends, left or right.

Well now, all them innernet expurts cain't be wrong! ATF is a comin' fer us brutha and you'ze bess git ready!

There are a couple of 'gotcha' parts to the new rule that could be used to go after almost anyone. I put two of them in comments above.

But generally I agree that they will probably start off going after the low hanging fruit.
The people they probably could have gotten under GCA and FOPA if they chose to. The typical ODT-er probably doesn't have a lot to worry about.

I'm only on page 273 of 466 so I've got a lot more reading ahead of me still. Most of the detail around how they intend to enforce this rule is in the Comments section, and that accounts for probably 90% of the document. I'll post up anything else 'interesting' I find in this thread.

This is all lol for me since I've about liquidated my collection and taken thousands of dollars in losses to put food on the table and fix lawnmowers and build **** for my cats but I'll be sure to keep it in mind that in the future if this injustice holds up, I should only buy guns I plan to keep forever and then actually keep forever. Because when I buy a gun I plan to keep it forever. I like to buy one of everything. I didn't plan for covid19 killing my work income. So I'll probably buy way less guns in the future so while I go down the list of things to liquidate to put food on the table during the next crisis, I don't have to see all my guns and choke on the truth that I can't sell them without getting a permit that's not going to be given to me unless I plan to start a business selling guns for longer than ten firearms or so.

This just seems like a real nut kicker just to be assholes to people for a problem that doesn't exist in any meaningful way because you're an old geezer who thinks banning guns is worth saving a few lives every year when we lose well over a million to any of a thousand ways. May as well force everyone to stay at home locked in their closets if you fear death that badly.

Perhaps, this is a veiled CYA for Arkansas type raids?
No

Not sure it would be a CYA, but you can expect a lot more of these types of things as they go after 'unlicensed dealers' due to the expanded definitions.

lol...that guy knew exactly what he was doing and the new clarification of the same rule would have made no difference, other than maybe getting him arrested earlier.. I do believe that the timing of the serving of this warrant was actually to spell out and give an example of the new interpretation, but it went sideways on them and they can't use it now.

If you read the warrant affidavit and then look at the explanations of the interpretation of the rule...its almost like spelling it out for somebody..

His case was supposed to be an example, but it didn't work out the way they planned.

Back
Top Bottom