• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATLANTA, for those that love it - WELL, YOU CAN HAVE IT!

Lenox Square....when it was worth going to!!

1960B_LenoxSquareArchives.jpg

yep....I lived pretty close by, and would walk there with friends....we would roam the mall....then, walk home...12+/-years old...1965 or so....nobody cared, just as long as I got home by dinner...

I'm perfectly happy in Chamblee. Love the easy access to the metro area, that I can get to the airport in 30 minutes (45 in traffic), the restaurants on Buford Highway, and that the elementary school, middle school, and high school are all in 1.5 miles from my house. I've got a great grocery store in walking distance, and a neighborhood that my kids can comfortably ride their bikes. I'm mostly working from home, but if I need to get to my office it's six miles away and there are four different routes that get me there in 15-20 minutes during rush hour.

I lived in Snellville and had a daily commute to Midtown every day.... Hate going back to Atlanta.
Retired and moved to north Georgia mountains... literally about a mile from the NC state line.

This was me walking my dog this morning... She was have a conversation with one of our local cows...

Attachments

• IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 27
This is my experience of living here as well. Most people who "hAtE AtLaNtA" are of three different stripes. The first have never been here, the second live OTP and work ITP and hate the commute, and the third are country folk. I've raised two girls on midtown, IKEA, the aquarium, festivals in Piedmont Park, going to Grant Park, and even a Braves game or two. I've also had them up in Jasper and Ellijay camping, as well as traveling the entire eastern seaboard during COVID, from the Keys to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Places are what you make of them...and as I watch my girls chase their dog through Piedmont with the city skyline in the back ground and listen to the other kids playing and watch folks jogging....I don't know. I kind of like it here.
I was of the second type. My previous job had me going from Macon to Duluth & Alpharetta pretty often. Loooong days of sitting in god awful traffic for almost as much time as I was actually spending in the office/job site. Leaving at 4:30AM just to be sure I got there by 8 regardless of traffic. Leaving any time after 3pm and still getting home after dark. But now I don't have to travel there for work anymore so I don't mind the occasional visit to go to a game, park, museum, etc. It's that M-F grind in traffic that almost killed me.

Most of the people who I worked there with that lived OTP just made a habit of working long hours because it made more sense than trying to leave on time and sit in traffic so long. They figured if they just worked a few extra more hours they'd still get home at the same time....

IMO, the last time Lenox was worth going to, Phipps hadn't even been conceived.
When I first moved here twenty some odd years ago, I used to go to the Tree lighting every Christmas. But I haven't been back to Buckhead in probably 10 years, the writing was on the walls, even then. All those old money people were dying off and their kids were selling to developers. It wasn't going to be long...and it wasn't. Actually, I take that back. Took the girls to Legoland pre-COVID. So it's been three-ish years.

For a few years I worked off of Northside Dr just south of Buckhead....and there's like a two mile stretch of Northside between Buckhead and Midtown that really does feel like a DMZ. It's a no man's land kind of, with this really nice Goodwill between the strip club and IKEA.

Anyways...late afternoon ramblings. :ranger:

Back
Top Bottom