• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Barrel Length for a Suppressed AR9

My 8" PSA appears to be cracking the bolt before bullet exits the barrel causing it to be loud at the shooters ear. For example i shoot my G17 suppressed with and without booster. With out booster the slide stays locked or mostly locked and is crazy quiet, with booster the slide and breach unlocks to quickly and causes a pop at the shooters ear making it louder for sure. Some guys run heavier recoil springs successfully but like i said i dont want to impact reliability and that heavier spring may do that on some loads.

My 8" PSA appears to be cracking the bolt before bullet exits the barrel causing it to be loud at the shooters ear. For example i shoot my G17 suppressed with and without booster. With out booster the slide stays locked or mostly locked and is crazy quiet, with booster the slide and breach unlocks to quickly and causes a pop at the shooters ear making it louder for sure. Some guys run heavier recoil springs successfully but like i said i dont want to impact reliability and that heavier spring may do that on some loads.
I played with different recoil springs in mine with very little difference. I swapped buffers too but I eventually went with stock carbine spring and carbine buffer with my FX-9.

I've toyed around with different configurations myself. What seems to work best for me is a spikes t3 buffer, standard recoil spring, and a stack of quarters in the buffer tube to stop the bolt from over travel.

Back
Top Bottom