• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bergara precision rifles

The match this month is a 2 day match Oct 14-15. You can shoot either day or both.

Arrive at 8 and shooting is complete around 2, then hamburgers on the grill.
You participate the whole time.
You will be assigned a target(squad), there will be 3 participates on each.
Each person has a job each relay, 1) shooter, 2) scorer, 3) pits/target puller.
There will be (9)25min relays, unlimited sighters and 20 shots for record each relay.
If I'm there we can squad together. I plan to shoot both days this month.

What are you getting in that "custom rifle" option from Bergara? That's hell of a price difference when you consider that they are using the same barrels and actions as their higher end "production" guns. Looks to me like they simply aren't turning the barrels down as much as they do on their sub 2k options and you get to have an AIAX, McMillan etc stock or chassis. Hell, I can have all those options built on a Stiller or Deviant action for that price point, not to mention, more barrel profile options.

ReservoirDawg10 ReservoirDawg10 , @greg vess Forgot about this until I just got a notification from a "like". The Bergara custom guns feature hand selected barrels, custom match chambering with much tighter tolerances, hand-lapped chambers/barrels, the triggers are tuned and glass/marinetex bedding is applied where applicable. It is bench built and there is also further accuracy verification to ensure you receive "a shooter." Whether or not that is worth the extra dollars spent is a personal decision.

While I am not going to knock the Stiller action as there are many great guns featuring that action (or any of its variants that Stiller produces for others) I can tell you that Bergara used to build their rifles on Stiller actions and moved away from it because Stiller's and many other actions have a bad habit of hanging the bolt when you don't run it properly, ie, under duress. Run the bolt at a slightly off angle and the Stiller WILL hang. The Bergara Premier action will not. The Bergara action is not just a 700 copy. It uses proven design elements such as a floating bolt head etc that you may see in other actions, but seems to apply the best features from many different well established actions. It also has a bolt that can be completely disassembled by hand, in the field. This was proven worth its weight in gold when a gust blew my rifle over in a virtual sandbox and filled the entire chamber with sand. With no tools I was able to continue shooting that day. To continue with most any other gun, I would have been forced to go to the toolbox. If anything is going to fail on a bolt gun, it is likely an extractor. With a premier action you can swap that out with no tools.

We are at the point now where accuracy is commonplace. Savage started the trend and boy do I thank them for it. You can buy 1/2 MOA guns now days for well under $1000. Just like you can buy a $10,000 Rolex with an in-house movement or a $100 Timex with a standard ETA-2824 that for all intents and purposes, keep the same time, the value is not always directly related to the end purpose. You can polish and jewel that 2824 all you want, its still a 2824.

Many will say, whats the point? Its the appreciation of what goes into a in-house action and the bench work done by a gentlemen that headed up the Marine Corps Precision Weapon Sector (Dan Hanus). If you haven't read his background, this article is a good start:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/2/25/bergara-storms-the-rifle-market/

I can say that if you have not really given one a full day's try, it may be hard to appreciate by just picking one up and running the bolt in a store. The action is like glass, especially after an initial break in, the lock up is firm, the triggers break clean and the gun shoots one hole groups. If you want to borrow one of mine to go on a shoot, let me know and you can come pick it up. There are a lot of good builders out there such as RedX or Dave Tooley or GAP, the list goes on and on and I would be happy to own any one of them, but most all of them will drive you to their guns and away from others because that's how they make their living. We all have different use cases, different preferences for what we want out of a gun and ultimately, different budgets. My advice is to give them all a whirl and see for yourself which one suits you best.

Ive been trying to stay out of this but that is some of the biggest load of POO POO I have ever read

Stiller Actions are 100 times better than the Bergara action, Bergara only uses that comparison for the misinformed sort of like the Full Automatic debate with the Mandalay bay shooter. Stiller actions are a Tactical action which means they are meant to be ran HARD not a bench rest action that you want to coddle so it all goes back to the end user. Stillers won't flex in a stock or Chassis, and their tolerances are so good that you can literally take one chambered barrel off of 1 action and torque it onto another and the Head space is exactly the same. With a Stiller you won't have to worry about a crappy extractor spring going bad at the worst time which I have personally seen and experienced during a match. Bergara went to their in house action because it made economic sense, why pay twice the price for a part that you can have made for you for half.

Dan doesn't build the custom rifles anymore, he hasn't in over a year. they just use that as another publicity stunt as well.

And you are driving people towards Bergara because you are one of their Dealers or Reps correct? And for the record I have told people to look at APA, GAP, and AO even though I build rifles too.

Back
Top Bottom