• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Do-It-Yourself Reloading Workbench Ideas?

Another good cover for the top is laminate flooring. It looks good, and you can usually find an odd box of it cheap at the local hardware store. Glue it down with 3M spray adhesive or liquid nails and it's about the best surface you can get for the price. If space is a premium, the cutouts in the bench top with multiple insert bases that match them work great for switching out tools or presses, whatever. You can even put a small drill press on the same base.

That's a great idea. I picked up most of my building supplies yesterday at HD and spent a little over $70. I already had the plywood, so that's not in the cost. Going with 4x4's for the legs, 2x4's for crossbeams and supports, 1/2" plywood for the sides and shelving, and pegboard for the back panel. Hasn't decided on a work surface for the top, and the laminate flooring is definitely a cheap and easy solution! Probably making another trip to HD today to pick up 24 sq ft of maybe a sandstone look or may just go with a light color. Have to see what's available

So I'm in the building process, which has been difficult since we just brought home our new baby Monday afternoon! That makes 4 kids total, so house is full, busy, and wife looks at me crazy anytime I step out the door. Got to spend about 2 hours today working on it though, and I'm about 1/3 of the way to what I anticipate to be complete.

My question to the veteran married reloaders: (divorced reloaders, I already know what happened there! )
How do you get the "spare time" to actually DO any reloading? I'm now concerned that I've put close to 2k into reloading equipment and supplies, and the wife is going to flip out anytime I step outside to run some ammo. Give me some words of wisdom por favor!

At this season of life, you may have to carve out time after the kids are down and the wife is settled. It'll get easier as the kids are up and out. In the meantime, have a conversation with her about it and let her know you don't want to "bail out." Also let her know that you can save some money by reloading and that it's down time for you.

Also, I've got some free time tomorrow if you need any help.

So I'm in the building process, which has been difficult since we just brought home our new baby Monday afternoon! That makes 4 kids total, so house is full, busy, and wife looks at me crazy anytime I step out the door. Got to spend about 2 hours today working on it though, and I'm about 1/3 of the way to what I anticipate to be complete.

My question to the veteran married reloaders: (divorced reloaders, I already know what happened there! )
How do you get the "spare time" to actually DO any reloading? I'm now concerned that I've put close to 2k into reloading equipment and supplies, and the wife is going to flip out anytime I step outside to run some ammo. Give me some words of wisdom por favor!

She has to sleep sometime. I do it mostly when mine is napping, but we both work, so it's not really an issue. Tough with 4 kids.... Make her take naps!

One of my biggest obstacles is going to be that my wife is staying home with the two youngest ones (newborn and 16 months) so she's never going to be gone! LOL. I work from home two days a week, and quite often I have some downtime on those days where I usually get stuff done, do local trades, clean some guns, etc. I'm starting to get the feeling that any "downtime" I have is now going to be expected to spend helping with the kids or something. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my kids, and evenings I usually am the one doing homework, reading books, getting them ready for bed, etc. I love my time with them, but I also need my own time just to relax and do my own thing...
My other issue is I have multiple hobbies, guns being a big one, ride motorcycles, but I'm also a big boat fanatic and also race high end RC boats. I limited my RC stuff and sold my bike earlier this summer to a buddy that offered me a ton for it so couldn't pass it up.
And Drterrell, PM me your number again if you could. I'm not sure if ill have any time to work on it tomorrow, but if I do I'll give you a call either way and I definitely appreciate your help!

I'm new to reloading and wanted a reloading bench that was somewhat portable so I bought a work bench from Harbor Freight for $26 that is rated to hold a 1,000 pounds. Once I mounted my old Lyman press I noticed the table top flexed some while sizing cases. I bought a scrap piece of pressed wood from Home Depot for $1.00 and placed it on top of the original bench top and now it is very sturdy. The work bench came with small L brackets to mount the bench top to the frame and I thought that was too flimsy so I bought some larger L brackets and used attaching screws that went through the botton table and at least half way into the top layer. I have less than $30 into a reloading bench and it is very sturdy and works great for my needs.

100_0087-a.JPG100_0088-a.JPG100_0089-a.JPG

Last edited:
I'm new to reloading and wanted a reloading bench that was somewhat portable so I bought a work bench from Harbor Freight for $26 that is rated to hold a 1,000 pounds. Once I mounted my old Lyman press I noticed the table top flexed some while sizing cases. I bought a scrap piece of pressed wood from Home Depot for $1.00 and placed it on top of the original bench top and now it is very sturdy. The work bench came with small L brackets to mount the bench top to the frame and I thought that was too flimsy so I bought some larger L brackets and used attaching screws that went through the botton table and at least half way into the top layer. I have less than $30 into a reloading bench and it is very sturdy and works great for my needs.

View attachment 127338View attachment 127339View attachment 127340

That's very neat. I know a lot of guys who don't have the space or a wad of cabbage to toss at a bench. This is doable for many in cramped quarters on a shoe string budget.

I had a folding table (mil-spec) but it too flexed. I cut about a 3' square 3/4" plywood to bolt to the top and the flexing stopped.

Hell, you could take this to the range on a calm day and load on the firing line!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom