• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Invention since sliced bread

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I used this drill attachment case length sizer for the first time at 2:30 this morning since I couldn't sleep. I did one and I measured the length and it was dead on. So I locked the calipers into place to use them to check other cases as I went through the batch. Using the drill on low speed it took to the count of ( one thousand one) and it was sized perfectly. Chamfered on the inside and out as well. I checked every second case just to be sure and it cut every case to the same length every single time. I even touched them up on the Hornady Case prep and the chamfers were smooth and perfect. It took about 4 seconds per casing and that's actually adding a little bit for taking one out and putting another in. But I did these cases in record time when I'd still be on there cranking it by hand like an idiot. And yes guys that would be Mr. elite idiot for you! LOL then I swagged the primer pockets and I was done in record time. This is the best thing since sliced bread! Really! Just a quick count on low speed and it did every shell perfectly. All of them were uniform and the same exact length. I think I had a couple of jagged cases come out but then I just put them in there and ran them through slow and it cleaned them right up. This sheds a whole new light on Case prep for me.

IMG_20230904_033152252.jpg

:) Where did this come from ? Brand, price ?
Thanks !
It's just a Lee Deluxe Power Quick Trim Tool. and you need the Lee Quick trim sizing die. I will look up both pieces and post them here in just a bit. I would crank on that handle for what seemed like forever and I could barely hold my arm up after 50 cases. And I mean it literally took forever because that would have to crank some check the case and then crank some more and it just took forever for one case. This took literally one second and it was cut and chamfered perfectly. I've been putting off getting one but I finally got it and I just used it last night and man what was I missing.

This parts is 22 bucks in Amazon.

I was using this piece of junk.

This is the die especially made for that tool so you'll need this to put in your press.

This part is 18 bucks on Amazon.
So 40 bucks all in for the Quick Trim Tool and 18 for and .223 trimming die.

You can get these cheaper and faster shipping off Amazon you just need to get the dive that's caliber specific and the quick trim tool is universal it uses the same sizing drill chuck for every caliber I think. But $24 for the drill piece and whatever the dye cost for your caliber but it's a excellent investment and a huge save time saving purchase.

I was going to get the Frankfort Arsenal Case prep center with the case sizing apparatus built into that. Problem is you still have to hold the case with your fingers. With this you just bring the rod up to your dye but not too hard just till they meet and then you just pull the trigger on the drill for one second and it's done. You don't have to bear down on the drill or apply any pressure all you do is just squeeze the trigger and to the count of ( one thousand one ) and it's done. No holding the case with your finger so it doesn't twist in the machine or none of that job. It takes the hands and arms out of it and the machines do all the hard parts. I really can't say enough about it. Each caliber uses a specific dye so it's done perfectly every time. There's also no reason to adjust the dye up and down to get the right height because you're just bringing the ram up to the die and inside the dye is what determines where the quick trim tool interfaces with the case so it's already built into the tool you just bring the ram up and squeeze the trigger on the drill and a second later you're done. IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

Looks and sounds good, but I will continue to do all mine on the press. I use to handle the brass like that, but it got very old real quick!! Now I don’t have to touch the brass at all, during the entire process from prepping to finished round. No more sore fingers from holding brass while trimming. View attachment 6177781
I just have a basic press so all I have to do is just put the shell in bring the ram up and pull the trigger on the drill. I have to swap the case out with another one by hand but once I stick the case in it's the press and the drill that does all the work. I mean I can literally do one case in one second change it out in 2 seconds and have another one done and another second. So I can do two cases in 5 seconds which is extremely fast from what I was doing. I might get a press down the line for loading pistol ammo or something like that but for right now I like my little basic press so I can have complete control over the case from start to finish. That way I know I'm getting the best finished product since I have left nothing up to a machine to complete. Just gives me a little better sense of security with my ammo. That might be totally futile but I feel that way anyway.

You're gushing over a Lee tool? You'd orgasm if you tried a Giraud benchtop trimmer.
Well I only spent a total of about 35 bucks on this whole case trimming job. So compared to what I was doing it's a massive improvement. I'll slowly upgrade over time but for right now this is super fast and very efficient. I was cranking on that handle. I do maybe 10 or 15 cases then I'd have to take a 30 to 45 minute break just to get the feeling back in my arm. I use Hornady seating dies and full length sizing dies and all that so I'm not using all Lee stuff I just have a Lee press and a few Lee tools but most everything else has been upgraded to Hornady, Frankford Arsenal and a few other of the better pieces. But I have to give it to Lee they hit a home run on this one considering what little money you have to put out for it. I did learn my lesson about a Lee factory crimping die. That thing is a POS and there's no other way to explain that.

I don't do a massive amount of reloading. I would soak a lot of money into a multi-stage turret press if I was doing all kinds of pistol rounds and a bunch of massive amount of rifle rounds and all that but for what I'm doing the simple setup just takes up a lot less space and is simple for me to work with. And I've slowly accumulated the tools that have sped the process up to where it's actually fairly enjoyable to do it now. It was a pain in the ass with that hand crank job and then the hand held primer tool. But I upgraded both those pieces and that's a breeze now so I'm happy with what I've got.

Back
Top Bottom