• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Invention since sliced bread

I have about 30k of 223s to do this week. I think I will stick with my dillon with the auto drive, thanks :cool:
Been there done that and moved on, all my other equipment is DILLON, dye hard DILLON USER. However GIRAUD, is the best of all we have tested and then got the GIRAUD problem solved... Buy once cry once and enjoy the best.

Well I only spent a total of about 35 bucks on this whole case trimming job. So compared to what I was doing it's a massive improvement. I'll slowly upgrade over time but for right now this is super fast and very efficient. I was cranking on that handle. I do maybe 10 or 15 cases then I'd have to take a 30 to 45 minute break just to get the feeling back in my arm. I use Hornady seating dies and full length sizing dies and all that so I'm not using all Lee stuff I just have a Lee press and a few Lee tools but most everything else has been upgraded to Hornady, Frankford Arsenal and a few other of the better pieces. But I have to give it to Lee they hit a home run on this one considering what little money you have to put out for it. I did learn my lesson about a Lee factory crimping die. That thing is a POS and there's no other way to explain that.
Finally something for the Poors.

Been there done that and moved on, all my other equipment is DILLON, dye hard DILLON USER. However GIRAUD, is the best of all we have tested and then got the GIRAUD problem solved... Buy once cry once and enjoy the best.
I buy those cheap knit gloves with the rubber on the fingers/thumbs (Harbor Freight) to reduce fatigue when doing a 1,000 cases in an hour.

I enjoyed reading this Thread and appreciated the OP's enthusiasm and opportunity to save himself time and energy doing something relaxing he enjoys. No brass casings were harmed in this Thread. Thanks.

got a short video of the setup in action? I've been using the FA prep setup, and some processes done on a Lee APP press but trimming is still the bane of my existence.

A little bit of my issue is I shoot a bunch of different calibers, so some of the automated setups can get expensive when you are looking at setting up for 4 or 5 main calibers...
I am thinking of getting a progressive for handgun rounds. I am won't be so anal about measuring every throw like I am with rifle rounds. I will still spot check but anything to get more done with a little less input will be a bonus. 550 for the Giraud is little steep.

I am thinking of getting a progressive for handgun rounds. I am won't be so anal about measuring every throw like I am with rifle rounds. I will still spot check but anything to get more done with a little less input will be a bonus. 550 for the Giraud is little steep.
I used to think that too. I'd spend about 20-25 hours per week processing cleaned .308 brass with hand tools but only get about 400 rds done, a SINGLE range session's worth. I valued my personal time at about $100 per hour back then so it was a no brainer for me to pick up a used Giraud bench top model. The collets and cutters were only about $30 each back then so I bought several chamberings I loaded.

When you think about it, this is a perfect example of "go big or go home".

At the one end you have maybe $60 investment in hand tools, and then at the other end, you have a Giraud, with some additional fittings, and a pad of Scotchbrite, probably up at about $700.

I just invested maybe $400 in total getting one of those case prep centers (in my case, the RCBS one, but it's similar for the Frankford one, or others) and a Lyman Case Trim express. The Lyman trimmer is great an'all. Same idea as the Giraud. But that combination is over half the cost of the god-standard Giraud.

My cases come out real nice when I take the time to do everything right, but I'd have real buyers' remorse if I was processing brass 500 cases at a time, regularly. The setup I bought would have me suicidal pretty damn fast.

Back
Top Bottom