• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Invention since sliced bread

I used to think that too. I'd spend about 20-25 hours per week processing cleaned .308 brass with hand tools but only get about 400 rds done, a SINGLE range session's worth. I valued my personal time at about $100 per hour back then so it was a no brainer for me to pick up a used Giraud bench top model. The collets and cutters were only about $30 each back then so I bought several chamberings I loaded.
Agreed. Doing rifle brass right ( not competitive shooting perfect) but keeping everything the exact same throughout is very time consuming.

It's just a Lee Deluxe Power Quick Trim Tool. and you need the Lee Quick trim sizing die. I will look up both pieces and post them here in just a bit. I would crank on that handle for what seemed like forever and I could barely hold my arm up after 50 cases. And I mean it literally took forever because that would have to crank some check the case and then crank some more and it just took forever for one case. This took literally one second and it was cut and chamfered perfectly. I've been putting off getting one but I finally got it and I just used it last night and man what was I missing.

This parts is 22 bucks in Amazon.

I was using this piece of junk.

This is the die especially made for that tool so you'll need this to put in your press.

This part is 18 bucks on Amazon.
So 40 bucks all in for the Quick Trim Tool and 18 for and .223 trimming die.

You can get these cheaper and faster shipping off Amazon you just need to get the dive that's caliber specific and the quick trim tool is universal it uses the same sizing drill chuck for every caliber I think. But $24 for the drill piece and whatever the dye cost for your caliber but it's a excellent investment and a huge save time saving purchase.

I was going to get the Frankfort Arsenal Case prep center with the case sizing apparatus built into that. Problem is you still have to hold the case with your fingers. With this you just bring the rod up to your dye but not too hard just till they meet and then you just pull the trigger on the drill for one second and it's done. You don't have to bear down on the drill or apply any pressure all you do is just squeeze the trigger and to the count of ( one thousand one ) and it's done. No holding the case with your finger so it doesn't twist in the machine or none of that job. It takes the hands and arms out of it and the machines do all the hard parts. I really can't say enough about it. Each caliber uses a specific dye so it's done perfectly every time. There's also no reason to adjust the dye up and down to get the right height because you're just bringing the ram up to the die and inside the dye is what determines where the quick trim tool interfaces with the case so it's already built into the tool you just bring the ram up and squeeze the trigger on the drill and a second later you're done. IT'S BEAUTIFUL!
I have the Frankfort Arsenal Case prep center with the case sizing apparatus. I like the tool for "bulk" work. It is rough on the fingers, especially with shorter cases, but some decent gloves really help out. However, the Frankfort tool is absolutely not adequate for producing brass for "match grade" ammo. Resulting case lengths are good enough for plinking, but you must be comfortable with 8 or 10 thousands variation. Your Lee tool does look interesting....might have to give it a whirl.

I have the Frankfort Arsenal Case prep center with the case sizing apparatus. I like the tool for "bulk" work. It is rough on the fingers, especially with shorter cases, but some decent gloves really help out. However, the Frankfort tool is absolutely not adequate for producing brass for "match grade" ammo. Resulting case lengths are good enough for plinking, but you must be comfortable with 8 or 10 thousands variation. Your Lee tool does look interesting....might have to give it a whirl.
It's fairly consistent. I mean the brass will only go so far and you can only go down with the cutter so far. You still have to give the outside a quick little clean up bevel but nothing crazy. It just leaves the harder cases a little rough on the outside but the outside bevel clean up really helps. I was going to look at the Frankfort Armory tool a whirl but I will probably just step up and get the Giraud piece. It's hard to achieve perfection no matter how you look at it. However, when I set my calipers to the right link that I want they all come out pretty much the same in length.

Looks and sounds good, but I will continue to do all mine on the press. I use to handle the brass like that, but it got very old real quick!! Now I don’t have to touch the brass at all, during the entire process from prepping to finished round. No more sore fingers from holding brass while trimming. View attachment 6177781
Is this the Honey Badger trimmer? I've been looking at them just looking for a deal on a Bosch (they were down to $129 during christmas, I assumed they were always around that price).. I have a 550 and thought the HB or Titan might be worth looking into with a case feeder.

Is this the Honey Badger trimmer? I've been looking at them just looking for a deal on a Bosch (they were down to $129 during christmas, I assumed they were always around that price).. I have a 550 and thought the HB or Titan might be worth looking into with a case feeder.

Looks like a Bosch router to me.

Looks like a Bosch router to me.
for sure. There are two companies that make a trimming setup using the Bosch 1617evs router as the power head, and they make the parts to convert it into a trimmer using standard trim dies. Honey Badger and Titan Weapons. Was curious which system he was using and if he was happy with it.

It's fairly consistent. I mean the brass will only go so far and you can only go down with the cutter so far. You still have to give the outside a quick little clean up bevel but nothing crazy. It just leaves the harder cases a little rough on the outside but the outside bevel clean up really helps. I was going to look at the Frankfort Armory tool a whirl but I will probably just step up and get the Giraud piece. It's hard to achieve perfection no matter how you look at it. However, when I set my calipers to the right link that I want they all come out pretty much the same in length.
When I need "near perfect", I use my L.E. Wilson trimmer with micrometer. It's really fantastic, but I can't recommend Wilson in general...their customer service is pretty terrible. If you get something of theirs that works, you're golden. If you get something of theirs that is defective, you're SOL.

I used the rcbs hand crank for years. Then I broke the handle. I came up with the idea to chuck a 1/2 electric drill to the shaft. Worked like a charm. I still use it today when I trim 308 or 30/06 brass. 223s are done using my dillon 1050 .

Attachments

• 20230808_160545.jpg
    20230808_160545.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 5
When I need "near perfect", I use my L.E. Wilson trimmer with micrometer. It's really fantastic, but I can't recommend Wilson in general...their customer service is pretty terrible. If you get something of theirs that works, you're golden. If you get something of theirs that is defective, you're SOL.

That's depressing. I recently bought a bunch of gauges from them. I guess I need to check them carefully.

That's depressing. I recently bought a bunch of gauges from them. I guess I need to check them carefully.
To be fair, I own at least 12 of their products and I'm really happy with almost all of it. Long story, short...I have a poorly machined shellholder of theirs that they simply refuse to do anything about. The end result of numerous emails and calls is they literally contend that the chambers of all 4 of my .308s are not machined properly and their mass-produced, $15 shellholder, is perfection. Due to the proprietary nature of the trimmer, I had to buy another Wilson shellholder which solved my problem and proved outright that they are full of BS. Lesson learned, and of course, if I were starting from scratch today, I would avoid Wilson altogether.

Back
Top Bottom