• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloading equipment.

The return on investment doesn't add up on 9mm. I'm not sure I need another hobby. What about 300blk? Anyone loading for it?

You're right-- on 9mm it does not. (It used to, though, when primers were under $20 a box!) But with the others, yeah. And believe me, it's a time suck-- if you don't shoot several thousand pistol rounds a year of the same caliber, I don't think it would justify it.

With a Dillon (or any progressive, I believe), you get time savings over a single-stage, but not as much as with pistol cartridges, due to the need to lube the cases before resizing. Then you probably need to get that lube off before running the rest of the steps. I'm playing with One-Shot lube that allegedly doesn't need to be cleaned off; that may save gobs of time.

A little research and now I understand your question. Still can't make up my mind though.

U prob don't shoot enuf to reload with a progressive. Get urself a nice single stage and kick out about 100 to 200 rounds when u need it. Otherwise...lee turret for the cost savings. Lastly...go in on half with a buddy on a 650. See how u like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right-- on 9mm it does not. (It used to, though, when primers were under $20 a box!) But with the others, yeah. And believe me, it's a time suck-- if you don't shoot several thousand pistol rounds a year of the same caliber, I don't think it would justify it.

With a Dillon (or any progressive, I believe), you get time savings over a single-stage, but not as much as with pistol cartridges, due to the need to lube the cases before resizing. Then you probably need to get that lube off before running the rest of the steps. I'm playing with One-Shot lube that allegedly doesn't need to be cleaned off; that may save gobs of time.

I disagree...if u you shoot frequently...it pays. Get 9mm 125gr lead bullets from summers at 4.5 cents. Add powder and primer. Ur at about 7.5 cents a round or 75 per 1k rounds. That way better than 230 per 1k rounds.

I disagree...if u you shoot frequently...it pays. Get 9mm 125gr lead bullets from summers at 4.5 cents. Add powder and primer. Ur at about 7.5 cents a round or 75 per 1k rounds. That way better than 230 per 1k rounds.

I can't touch that price... I'm paying more like seven cents for lead bullets delivered, though I found Summers with a search and will have to use them next time. Primers are about three cents, if you're lucky-- four if you aren't. Plus about 1.1 cent for powder ($20/lb.) So actually I guess they are costing me eleven cents... factor in my time, and it's barely worth doing-- certainly not if I was starting from scratch. Except that I tailor the load for my needs, and that makes the difference.

For those thinking about reloading, these are the calculations to think through. YMMV.

Thanks for the Summers tip, Nuke and Juke! Much, much cheaper than Missouri Bullet Company.

I can't touch that price... I'm paying more like seven cents for lead bullets delivered, though I found Summers with a search and will have to use them next time. Primers are about three cents, if you're lucky-- four if you aren't. Plus about 1.1 cent for powder ($20/lb.) So actually I guess they are costing me eleven cents... factor in my time, and it's barely worth doing-- certainly not if I was starting from scratch. Except that I tailor the load for my needs, and that makes the difference.

For those thinking about reloading, these are the calculations to think through. YMMV.

Thanks for the Summers tip, Nuke and Juke! Much, much cheaper than Missouri Bullet Company.

I have always used plated bullets which run me around 8.5 cents per bullet. Any downside to shooting lead? Barrel problems? Etc?

Asking for a friend...

Kuduman...before I drop an order...if u are nearby...we can get a group order and see what other discounts we can get. Let me tell u, I've shot Missouri...ga arms...and summers. There isn't a better deal quality and deal. I swear some people buy summers and throw their own brand on it. It's that cheap and quality is bar none

I have always used plated bullets which run me around 8.5 cents per bullet. Any downside to shooting lead? Barrel problems? Etc?

Asking for a friend...

Negatory on lead problems with one proviso. Assuming you are shooting lead at a speed appropriate to the hardness, you won't have problems. And even if you were getting lead build-up-- that's what the Lewis Lead Remover is for. Brownells carries it.

I wouldn't shoot it through a Glock, due to the scare stories. But I've been shooting lead for twenty something years-- no problems. Other than the smoke, of course. The wax makes more smoke than jacketed bullets.

I can't fathom shooting anything _but_ lead out of normal-rifled handguns.

Negatory on lead problems with one proviso. Assuming you are shooting lead at a speed appropriate to the hardness, you won't have problems. And even if you were getting lead build-up-- that's what the Lewis Lead Remover is for. Brownells carries it.

I wouldn't shoot it through a Glock, due to the scare stories. But I've been shooting lead for twenty something years-- no problems. Other than the smoke, of course. The wax makes more smoke than jacketed bullets.

I can't fathom shooting anything _but_ lead out of normal-rifled handguns.

Finally found a downside to a Glock. No lead!

Back
Top Bottom