• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best second upper for AR

If I didn't love SBRs and suppressors, the Grendel would be a no brainer for my cartridge of choice in the AR-15 platformm
i been looking at the same thing for hunting with my AR. i know 5.56 can take a deer, i just want something with a bit more oomph lol. and i guess after the Army, im just more comfortable on a AR platform. i absolutely love my ruger gunsite, but if i had a different upper for my AR it would stay at home 99% of the time and i know it lol.

i dont have any interest in SBR or Suppressing (mainly cause im poor lol), so i was looking at getting another 6.8spc II upper. had one before, but traded it off before i could take a deer with it. was looking at 300BO since i dont have any shots that would be over 200yds at the property, but looks like if i dont plan on suppressing or SBRing 300bo, i would be better off with another caliber. but with the popularity of the new 6.5 Grendel has me really considering it.

i think if a really nice 6.5 Grendel upper came up for trade for a nice lefty deer rifle i would prob offer it for trade lol. with the popularity, ammo is probably easier to get than 6.8spc lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

What next??
IMG_20181129_151631.jpg

The first upper is more than adequate for both purposes. Spend the money on good optics and upgrades and leave it at that.

Best second upper is one that comes with another lower to put it on... With prices where they are swapping uppers is almost pointless. Better just to have a second rifle. That way they can both be setup the way you want.

Plus, with things like 300 BO, swapping uppers is a good way to blow up a gun if you get them mixed up and don't check.

To be fair, the lower isn't the cost to worry about, it's the triggers once you get used to running the better ones out there. And some stocks are expensive as well. I get your point but it's nice to have that familiar feel regardless of what bullet is coming out of the hole. Especially if your lower is an SBR, it's easier to just get more uppers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a bigger problem affording/swapping optics than I do lowers. I dont own an optic I like thats cheaper than the lower and trigger I like.

Might be a newby question here but the 300 blackout upper can be put on a standard 556/223 lower and it will function safely? no other parts or adjustments needed? seems too good to be true to me but I would be all for another upper if that is the case.

Might be a newby question here but the 300 blackout upper can be put on a standard 556/223 lower and it will function safely? no other parts or adjustments needed? seems too good to be true to me but I would be all for another upper if that is the case.

correct. you can even use standard 5.56 magazines with 300BO but can have some feeding issues. they do make 300BO specific magazines and i would for sure recommend them. just mark your mags so you know which is which.

Back
Top Bottom