• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt action 300blk subsonic suppressed question

36fatfriends

Default rank <2500 posts
I Will Cut You
62   0
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently purchased a JTAC Elf owl in 300blk. It’s a bolt action 300blk with a 7.2” barrel, and I am woefully unimpressed with the sound reduction from my Sandman S. Second shot is definitely quieter than the first round pop, but still unimpressive.

I’ve shot 300blk suppressed out of a bolt gun before (16” barrel) and had much different results. I don’t remember the can used at that time but I remember it being ridiculously quiet.

Are my expectations with this setup too high? I know the sandman s isn’t the quietest can around, but man, I didn’t think it would be this loud of a difference compared to past experiences.

Is the 7.2” barrel not long enough to ensure a full powder burn? Do I need a bigger can with more internal volume? Considering getting the clock ticking on a Nomad LTi. Do I need to just get into hand loading and dial them in for my setup? I’ve only shot the Sig 220grain sub-sonics.

Talk me off the ledge here. Temper my expectations, or talk me into a new suppressor.

Attachments

• EA35E972-4DC3-447B-ACEE-4ECEFE0A9DAB.jpeg
    EA35E972-4DC3-447B-ACEE-4ECEFE0A9DAB.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 65
What is the velocity with those rounds? I loaded my 7” to 900 fps with 220 grain and it’s pretty quiet. The same loads are 1050 fps from my 16” ruger 300blk and are also pretty quiet there. Suppressor is a rugged radiant.

I think you're probably right and at 7.2in you're not getting full powder burn with those Sig 220grain rounds. I don't think you need to worry about the internal volume of the can.

What is the velocity with those rounds? I loaded my 7” to 900 fps with 220 grain and it’s pretty quiet. The same loads are 1050 fps from my 16” ruger 300blk and are also pretty quiet there. Suppressor is a rugged radiant.
Not sure. I don’t have a chrono. I figured at 7.2” there’s no chance they’re going super.

I think you're probably right and at 7.2in you're not getting full powder burn with those Sig 220grain rounds. I don't think you need to worry about the internal volume of the can.
Larger can would allow the extra burn to happen in the can, no? Would dialing in a hand load fix it?

Might be worth trying a different brand of subs? I’ve shot some bolt actions like that snd it was stupid quiet. Like 147gn 9mm from a pistol quiet.

Loading your own will get what you’re after but has other drama around it.

Shortest barrel I have at the moment is 10in. I used to have an 8.5in.

Both had muzzle devices for my Sandman S, and I shot a variety of different manufacturers' subsonic out of them with no problem. I also have a 16in Ruger American, and I have to be a bit selective with that because some subsonic ammo thru' that will become supersonic.

However, in your case - I dunno - I think a slightly cooler subsonic ammo MIGHT do it, or possibly a slightly longer barrel. One cheap way of finding out MIGHT be to put a relatively inexpensive 1in barrel extension on first (before committing to a brand new barrel), although I've never done that myself.

Shortest barrel I have at the moment is 10in. I used to have an 8.5in.

Both had muzzle devices for my Sandman S, and I shot a variety of different manufacturers' subsonic out of them with no problem. I also have a 16in Ruger American, and I have to be a bit selective with that because some subsonic ammo thru' that will become supersonic.

However, in your case - I dunno - I think a slightly cooler subsonic ammo MIGHT do it, or possibly a slightly longer barrel. One cheap way of finding out MIGHT be to put a relatively inexpensive 1in barrel extension on first (before committing to a brand new barrel), although I've never done that myself.
Just can’t imagine that .8” of extra barrel would make that big of a difference, I’ll try a variety of subs and see what I can come up with.

If my Nomad-L ever gets out of NFA jail, I'd be happy to let you try it. Sadly, it may be a while longer with the way wait times keep going up and up.

Back
Top Bottom