• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt action 300blk subsonic suppressed question

Thanks all for the feedback. Went out to the farm today to have some fun and found it made a HUGE difference shooting the sandman wet. And I mean a huge difference.

I still think I’m going to go for a Nomad L/LT or Hyperion (can’t decide yet, but leaning nomad since most of my stuff is already setup for keymo).

I’ve only been shooting factory subs, but will im sure end up picking up the reloading hobby for consistency sake. Damn near impossible to zero this thing with subs, especially between different brands and weights, but still a lot of fun to plink steel.

I don't mean to hijack OP, but what chrony do you use?
1666644674320.png

Hi all, I recently purchased a JTAC Elf owl in 300blk. It’s a bolt action 300blk with a 7.2” barrel, and I am woefully unimpressed with the sound reduction from my Sandman S. Second shot is definitely quieter than the first round pop, but still unimpressive.

I’ve shot 300blk suppressed out of a bolt gun before (16” barrel) and had much different results. I don’t remember the can used at that time but I remember it being ridiculously quiet.

Are my expectations with this setup too high? I know the sandman s isn’t the quietest can around, but man, I didn’t think it would be this loud of a difference compared to past experiences.

Is the 7.2” barrel not long enough to ensure a full powder burn? Do I need a bigger can with more internal volume? Considering getting the clock ticking on a Nomad LTi. Do I need to just get into hand loading and dial them in for my setup? I’ve only shot the Sig 220grain sub-sonics.

Talk me off the ledge here. Temper my expectations, or talk me into a new suppressor.
Not a scientific response but.. I've got a sandman K & running it on an 8.5" .300 BO, it suppresses at muzzle the same as my SiCo Harverster, or atleast that's my ears opinion.

Not a scientific response but.. I've got a sandman K & running it on an 8.5" .300 BO, it suppresses at muzzle the same as my SiCo Harverster, or atleast that's my ears opinion.
I believe that. I think mainly because you’re gonna get 120db from the action slamming just by itself.

I believe that. I think mainly because you’re gonna get 120db from the action slamming just by itself.
Many years ago when I was metering my Leonidas we found out that the meter was picking up the bolt cycling more than the round itself. 124db's was just dropping the bolt home on an empty chamber.

Many years ago when I was metering my Leonidas we found out that the meter was picking up the bolt cycling more than the round itself. 124db's was just dropping the bolt home on an empty chamber.
that's why I like my 22 bolt gun with a can. It's actually MORE quiet shooting a round than dryfiring because the brass slows the firing pin. Stupid. I kept thinking I was getting squibs so I watched for splash.

If you want stupid quiet with 300 blk, you'll need to reload and play with some different powders. My 220 gr subs average 1050 fps out of my 8.5" AR with Sandman L and are quieter than suppressed factory 147gr 9mm. To get there, I reamed my gas port to .125" and found the quickest burning powder that will cycle the gun while staying just below the supersonic threshold. I adjust my gas block a few turns, and get around 1900 fps with my 125gr loads, and are still quiet minus the sonic crack.

This is my 9mm hush rounds vs my 300blk rounds mentioned above. Factory subs are much louder.

If you want stupid quiet with 300 blk, you'll need to reload and play with some different powders. My 220 gr subs average 1050 fps out of my 8.5" AR with Sandman L and are quieter than suppressed factory 147gr 9mm. To get there, I reamed my gas port to .125" and found the quickest burning powder that will cycle the gun while staying just below the supersonic threshold. I adjust my gas block a few turns, and get around 1900 fps with my 125gr loads, and are still quiet minus the sonic crack.

This is my 9mm hush rounds vs my 300blk rounds mentioned above. Factory subs are much louder.
That is awesome! Yeah I figure with a 300 now, reloading is an inevitability for me.

Suppressor Mfg here. Volume makes huge difference as it lowers the temp and thus the frequencies. if you want a really quiet 300 go with an integral suppressor. You can then shoot super and subs and any grain so ti will not matter.

Attachments

• Suppressed Upper No Hand Guard.jpg
    Suppressed Upper No Hand Guard.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom