• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Browning O/U vs Beretta O/U aka Over Under Chat

Question. Why would you buy a parallel comb stocked shotgun? Wouldn’t that be like shooting with a 2x4? Browning makes a 725 with parallel comb . Looks odd .

Question. Why would you buy a parallel comb stocked shotgun? Wouldn’t that be like shooting with a 2x4? Browning makes a 725 with parallel comb . Looks odd .
Not a stock fitter, but can provide general guidance:

The parallel target allows the eye to be the same height in relation to the rib regardless of how far forward or back on the stock the cheek is placed. For target sports like Trap and Skeet where the targets are at the same relative height, most consider this to be beneficial provided the gun fits the user properly.

For the Sporting clays targets which often have presentations high above, significantly below or in many cases falling quickly, the slant of the stock allows the user to move the head forward or backward to adjust the sight picture for those presentations.
That being said, there are several top sporting clays shooters in the US who prefer the parallel comb stock so personal preference is key.

Top picture is a 725 parallel comb.
Bottom is a 725 sporting.

Hope this helps.

1666652891631.png

1666652973882.png

Great answer! I have a lot to learn. I didn’t think of it that way for trap shooters. I like the look of the sporting .
The parallel comb helps cure errors in mounting the gun, If you mount the gun a little forward or backwards, the sight picture will stay the same (yes, I know there are no sights).

This seems to work especially well for shooters who use a raised rib.

I found a raised rib to one of the modifications that improved my scores due to my shooting style I became much smoother, and my mount more repeatable when I had one installed.

Keep in mind while shopping that some of the larger shoots for any of the clay events will sometimes have vendors there selling guns and usually guns specific for the type of event. Trap, Sporting, Skeet, etc. May be worth looking in to or dropping in on one. Don't be afraid of online either - lots of great shops out there. Target Shotguns in NC is a personal favorite of mine. They do a great job taking care of the customer and not just trying to sell a gun. Last suggestion - check out forums. I am a member of a trap forum and they always have members selling guns. It is common to see good deals out there.

Why does it seem like when i shoot trap at Tom Lowe that I’m shooting into the abyss? Is it the topography? Old trap machines? Not complaining but man my shooting can stink out there . Maybe it’s the wind, can’t be me.lol.

Why does it seem like when i shoot trap at Tom Lowe that I’m shooting into the abyss? Is it the topography? Old trap machines? Not complaining but man my shooting can stink out there . Maybe it’s the wind, can’t be me.lol.
I haven't been to Tom Lowes in years but it's not the traps.

If they are still shooting over the ravine, that can definitely mess with your perception.

Try Elbert County Gun Club sometime where you shoot over a couple of quarries and you will run into the same thing.

I think you maybe right. It’s perspective. Other trap fields are smaller and more compact.
One thing that I learned at Elbert County, is that when you are shooting at a target over space, and it starts to drop, you have to shoot under, and establish or maintain the lead under it, which is counter intuitive to shooting a shotgun,

Back
Top Bottom